ATTN: Everyone

YeW

Hi All -

I thought I'd put this post up to explain what bandwidth theft is and ask all users NOT to do this.

When you call an image (using the [ img ] tag) into your post it uses bandwidth from whichever server you've pulled it from.

This forum as most ppl are aware is quite busy - and so the image gets "called" from the server everytime someone views a thread. Individual threads (ie: Topics) can sometimes have over well over 1000 views (assuming it is a popular thread). Obviously if this is your own server/webspace this is fine (I like to see pics in the forum as much as anyone). If it isn't your own server here's how the problem grows:

So let's say it is 2 x 25 k images... this is 50,000(bytes) x 1000 (views) = 50, 000, 000 (or 50 megs) being pulled from this server (assuming it is not cached by your browsers). Obviously this is a worst case scenario.

So, where's the problem you ask? Well - we webmasters PAY for bandwidth. By stealing it and hotlinking to images you don't own you are increasing our costs. I know this from from personal experience, I once received a extra $90 bill for excessive bandwidth from my web host. I looked up my stats and found that 15 of my images were being used in a very popular thread on one of the larger US fish forums. I contacted the people involved and sent some unpleasant emails and thankfully this piracy stopped.

Bandwidth theft is illegal, guys and gals, you can be sued for doing it. Please don't do it. Use a link [ url ] or get permission from the owner of the photo and then upload it to your own webspace before posting it on the forums.

Cheers -

David and

Sorry Yew, I wasn't aware of the problem ;) :^:, I thaught, like in acedemic literature, as long as there was some sort of reference or link between the photo and its original, that there is no problem. But obviously its different in cyber world ;):

Anthony :8

The permission is certainly a courtesy - on some websites it is an obligation.

If you want to show ppl a picture - the easiest way is with a test link, rather than pulling the picture itself into the forum ;).

HTH

Edward -

That is a very sad thing if only 2/39 forums support this. Many ppl unknowingly steal bandwidth but it costs us webmasters all the same. It is theft and you can be done for it in the courts in serious cases.

hey dave

what if i upload the picture to my iprimus free web space... and then use the link to retreive the picture.... is it ok ....

and if not how can i do it ?

thx in adv

c ya

:^:

Edward -

That is a very sad thing if only 2/39 forums support this. Many ppl unknowingly steal bandwidth but it costs us webmasters all the same. It is theft and you can be done for it in the courts in serious cases.

I haven't really thought about it.

It makes sense, but making the whole or even majority of the internet community to abide by this is a tough job.

Just wondering what advantage a text link to a photo has over displaying it in the forum?

Cheers,

Ed

By providing a link to the page where the picture is, you are still using their bandwidth yes, but directly from their own site/server. Making this forum not responsible for chewing through their (expensive) bandwidth.

aymenz, :D

go to the iprimus home page http://www.iprimus.com.au

and on the left click 'my accont toolbox' under 'services'

login using your normal details

then under 'services' click 'Personal web space'

you should be able to upload files here , just like adding attachments to e-mail.

At the top of the page you should see the address you need to put in the post E.G http://www.home.iprimus.com.au/YOUR_USER_NAME/

just add the file name after your user name/

and as YeW has asked use .jpg and limit the file sise and dimentions to less than 800 x 600 (ok YeW? :D )

HTH.

Other Ed

two 'eds are better than one

hey ed thx...

hey yew thx

thx everyone for helping out

well ed i really know how to use the upload method and the services @ iprimus........... :8

thx anyway......

c ya.

:^:

Gday Dave,

ive just got a quick question... i was wondering if you could reduce some of the pic sizes in some of the fish profiles ive done as they are from what ive seen hotlinked to my web space ( not that i mind ) just seems my connection is running slower if that is possible.... + the pics look heaps better once you have done what you do with them (adding names and such) :D ... thanks in advance mate :)

Archived