Tang buffer for Malawi cichlids to breed

FullyYellow

Has anyone tried using a Tang buffer to increase chances of breeding or larger bathes of fry if your malawis do breed? I met a local breeder who does this and said before using the tang buffer he only got small mouthfuls of fry around 10-20. Shortly after using Seachem Tang Buffer he was experiencing larger batches up to 40-50 per mouthful.

Would love everyone insight and perhaps a discussion as to why this would happen?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

I have never heard of this. I have bred fish both ways and found other factors like mentioned above to bare more influence.

Since pulling down my fishroom and having moved a rack of breeders into my dinning room I have had considerably more mouthfuls and larger mouthfuls. I have also stoped using buffers (aquapics) and I am using an Epsom salt and sea salt mix. The fish are also getting feed more as the whole family feeds them now. I put the extra feeds and the lack of a constant temperature down to them breeding better.

If the water perameters are that far out of the fishes needs,, and then buffer bringing it back into ball park perameters could have this effect,,, but in more extreme circumstances.

It is truly amazing how just a change in scene or living quarters can trigger spawnings.

Sometimes I will extract a whole colony from their tank and switch with another species (all my tanks are center sump system).

After swapping they will spawn within a day.

I actually learnt this trick from hearing stories "of example", say, a pair of S.Uaru cichlids in their tank for well over a year at full maturity and never spawn at all,,,,,, then lol, they sell to someone else then a spawn happens within a day or two after the sale.

I've had this happen with Frontosa and few other species.

So I thought of the tank swap technique and it worked.

A few things that will lower spawn count through out roughly 150 species colonies of Africans is

High nitrates

High turbidity of dissolved solids.

High bacteria and fungus counts.

Surprisingly water perameters is not a issue unless well out of a rough ball park.

My 150 species I mentioned was for the show of a broad experimention or visual conclusion.

To many people I see describe their findings on one or two or twenty fish tanks which is inaccurate being that the higher number or repetition values of a experiment or finding is essential for a closer to a clearer more true answer.

From what I've seen on a whole,,,, the entire breedroom,,, on this topic subject,,, the whole breeding room depreciated in breeding due to excessive proportion of the mentioned things above.

Though some species seemed hardier producing as normal.

In a nut shell,,,,, water changes keeps things in control from problems and secondary problems stemming from primary problems.

Neglect and lack of knowledge = disaster.

Just rambling of some extras again,,, lol.

Archived