Sunken Belly

FullyYellow

Hey guys,

I have recently acquired a colony electric yelllows from someone in newcastle.

Most of the females have sunken belly. I have managed to save some of the females. But there are many that haven't been eating and are being inactive (sitting in corner of tank and just floating around the water surface). I have recently lost 2 females to it recently.

So I'm just posting on here to find how to save fish from sunken belly from your personal experiences.

Any feedback or procedures/ remedies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This type of wasting is common in yellows. I know a guy who lost two colonies of 40+ fish each colony to it. Really if you saw they had sunken bellies you probably should not have baught them. But I guess thats besides the point.

I found you need to entice them eating again. The way I found was the best was withlive brine shrimp. Once they start eating the shrimp slowly substitute them for dry food until they are eating again.

It hits the females the hardest because they spend alot of time holding fry and not eating. Try separate the males to ensure the females have enough time to fully recover before they breed again.

I agree with Firthy if they do come back its a lot of TLC and

separate the boys out

I would also consider hitting them with Metro as they could

be hosting protozoa which can lead to these symptoms

When you feed the brine shrimp you need to also put metronidazole in the water

It helps fight the parasite

If they are very horse shoe belly really I have never seen a comeback

Next time you see a seller selling fish like that tell him to cull them not sell them

Metro/wormer may help but if its to late it's too late

If you don't find metro I can help

• 2 weeks later...

I have saved very few over the years and I have tried. Yellows appear to be the worst , I have a suspicion, not fact just ime only, that higher protein foods can trigger it. I stopped feeding my yellows higher protein foods for a while and switched back to hbh veggie flake and they looked better for a while. So I switched food back and I have recently lost a few more. So I now need to rebuild the colony separate them and feed then hbh exclusively. It could also be stress from other teammates.or simply water conditions. I don't know and haven't discovered it in 4 years of trying.

You might try metro or dose the water with prazi but it may be too late.

Cheers

Rosco.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys an update on the fish. Sorry the the late response. Didn't realise it was this popular!

The remaining females have all pulled through and I have bought some great quality fry from Lithoman as well to replace the 2 females soon enough.

So I guess I'll just feed them up and they will grow to be great breeders.

Archived