Battling BGA in a high light tank

Kerrin

Hey All,

After some advice if anybody has any experience with this. My tang tank receives alot of natural light due to it's position, I know that this isn't ideal but unfortunatly the tank isn't going anywhere. I am finding that I have a continual problem with Blue green algae on the substrate, which I am keeping at bay with the little blue blocks (not sure what these are called but they kill off algae). This keeps the algae in check to a degree, but is not a cure.

I had this problem with another tank untill it became a planted set up, but obviously this is not going to be a possibility in the tang tank. Is there anything I can do? or will I just need to battle on.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Kerrin

Unfortunately fish wont eat blue green algae, water changes are 30% weekly. I have read that BGA will grow in an environment that is very low in Nitrates, ans that swinging the balance in favor of plants will help to reduce/prevent the algae from growing, but as it is a tang set up this isn't something I want to do.

Thanks for the info guys, we only have thin curtains and the house faces north, with a lot of windows. I have shut the curtains, and will see what difference it makes. I'd love to black out the side of the tank that gets the light, but unfortunately it's the front haha

Archived