keeping demasoni

frankenstrat

im intersted in starting a 3x2x2 with demasoni to potentially breed them.

does anyone have some good tips on how to stop them killing each other?

i know heaps of hiding places is usually a good start, but i was wondering on what is a good species to add as dither fish?

cheers

luke

I found no hiding spots worked best with mine. Any spot that they could call their own just turned into a match of blood sport for it. I was waking up to a dead fish or 2 every morning and told myself not to worry it is just excess males anyway (I have no idea what sex they were but telling myself that kept me sane and come to terms with the constant loss lol). This went on for a few weeks before I had had enough, tore everything out and had no more deaths after that...

ETA: I was keeping mine with Electric yellows and Cobwe at that time...

I have mine breedingin a tank with no hiding spots and havent lost any yet to aggression

The tank is a 4x18x18 with marble chip as substrate

When i did have a cave in there the dominant male was really aggressive towards all of the other fish but once it was removed the aggression stopped andnow they only harrass each other when breeding

Simple setups have worked best for me too. I had about 3 rocks a bit bigger than my fist and three caves in a 4x18x18. I originally started with around 30 fish. I found that full rock setups were a nightmare. I pulled out maybe 10 dead males and 1 dead female over the years. I just sold my colony recently :( . Out of 23 fish there were about 6 males.

I think you may have trouble with 2 males. I would go with 1 male or 3+ and lots of girls.

When I started keeping mine it was trial and error which meant several deaths. I tried no hidning places and hiding places - both ended up badly. I started growing them up from fry thinking I would have less problems.

I now have a breeding colony of two males and about 7 females with a couple of caves at each side of my 4x18x18. I have them in with a colony of peacocks and electric yellows. I have little aggression now and "touch wood" no deaths for a long time. In saying that recently I removed my sub-dom male as the dom male was giving him a hard time. It seems to be when they want to breed.

Perseverence is the key.

Good luck with them....

Archived