Triggers for wild caught fish?

shannon

Considering all the recent imports and wc fish available I'm curious as to what triggers people use to entice spawning? Or perhaps even routines?

I've got a wc colony of cyathopharynx foai sibwesa and so far haven't had any success with getting them to dig let alone breed lol.

Fish are in a 5x2x2 tank is at 24degrees ph 8.6 kh 14 gh 11.

Weekly 10% water changes. Fish are fed nls, frozen brine shrimp, sera veggie flake and sera veggie pellets.

Any advice?

Shannon

Any help?

Hi Shannon

Although not WC, i had success breeding featherfins by doing large weekly water changes (30%) with pretreated and heated water. I used seachem buffers and salts. Big waters changes but stable water parameters. I have also read that WC Foai can take a long time to settle and begin breeding.

Would love to see pics of your WC Sibwesa, one of my favourite variants!

Good luck with them.

Cheers

Nick

I would do a few small water changes and then a big one, let the temp drop a few degrees. It nearly always worked for me.

Thanks for the feed back. I was just abit weary of doing large changes as I don't have pretreated water. The one time I did do a large change roughly 40% the fish didn't handle it too well. I use fish focus buffers for now but previously was using seachem.

Eh, do whatever keeps your water at low levels of all stages in the nitrogen cycle.

The fish will breed on their own when they are ready and if they are able to assert dominance.

Maturation of these fish can take awhile and colours may not be shown until they are good to breed.

In my opinion if you haven't noticed any dark colouration, then they arn't mature enough to breed.

Provided they feel comfortable in your tank, they will build bowers and display only when they are becoming mature.

The above has seen numerous spawns of Ventralis and also on furcifer.

Cheers,

John

They are definitely old enough and mature enough the largest male is 22cm all others are 17cm give or take. I think the common thing everyone has said is comfort. I'm sure they will get there one day.

My WC Baenschi Benga's bred after a month of getting them, we kept the area dark and in a low traffic area and we only fed them when they came looking for it, and made sure the water was always clean and good quality, good luck with your fish and i hope they breed for you soon.

Are they in a community tank Shannon? One thing I couldn't believe was that the removal of a red rubin male (who was dominant), allowed my furcifers to breed and show dominance. Of all things a peacock - which are suppose to be one of the peaceful cichlids. Just goes to show.

As for my tank arrangements, very little rockwork, with lots of sand.

Hope that helps,

John

hi shannon

geez 22cm, id be putting that bad boy in a 10ft tank at least. from the lake to a 5x2! his pit alone would be bigger than half that tank.

would love to see pics as well champ.

Haha Ned if I had room he would be in a 10 footer.

Don't worry damo if I choose to move them on you will get first dibs haha

Ok so turns out I'm no computer whiz and not even able to upload a photo. Anyone willing to volunteer to post the pictures up in the thread for me? I can email them to you.

Archived