"fire red" tropheus duboisi

andrewl

Hey I just bought some "fire red" tropheus duboisi they are from the same family as the tropheus duboisi but there white with red and orange tinge on them when there young instead of black with white spots that the tropheus duboisi have I'm just looking for some more information on them I have looked on Google but cannot find anything on them only on the normal tropheus duboisi if anyone has any info or know any sites would be great thanks.

Edited by andrewl

Oh ok well I'll ask him about it as long as there not a hybrid I'm not too fussed they have fit into my tank nicely I've only stuck with the Malawi cichlids until now just wasn't sure about them

They are not naturally occurring so that means they are actually a hybrid!

Personally if it was me i'd take them back and get my money back and buy some pure tropheus! There are plenty of breeders on this forum that you could buy good quality tropheus from.

Cheers,

Damo

Edited by damoq

Hmm yeah I was thinking that I might take them back and stick with a Malawi tank instead and with the breeders I have had a look but not a proper look which I will do soon thanks for all your help I'm still learning I have had cichlids for a while now but only just started to learn about them properly so thanks for being patient with me lol.

Andrew.

They are not naturally occurring so that means they are actually a hybrid!

Personally if it was me i'd take them back and get my money back and buy some pure tropheus! There are plenty of breeders on this forum that you could buy good quality tropheus from.

Cheers,

Damo

agree with Damo

I agree with Chris.

Line bred fish are still pure fish its just that they have been bred to have desirable traits.

If it is line bred then its not a duboisi then either!

Does that just mean they have been cross bred with two different species of Tropheus or with tropheus and something else and only in a tank environment not in the wild? Keep in mind I'm still learning all about this lol.

We already know they aren't a Duboisi.

Line breeding is taking fish of the same species and breeding them together to get a desired look. T. duboisi starburst is one that comes to mind. A adult Maswa that doesn't loose its spots.

We line breed stuff all the time.....Electric Yellows (we select for brighter yellow, cleaner black etc)...other fish we select for straighter bars etc....if we po poo all line breed species then we really wouldnt be keeping much of anything

• 8 years later...