Companion Fish for Tropheus moorii

PaulJ

HI,

I have some Trohpeuos Moorii and i wanted to put another species in with the tank, just to liven things up a bit. After some research on the web i have narrowed it down to these 3:

Neolamprologus Tretocephalus

Neolamprologus Sexfasciatus

Cyprichiomis Leptosoma

Does any one have any opinions on these options?

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I used to keep Tropheus for a few years and always kept them the cyprichromis species. The great advantage of Cyprichromis is that they swim in the upper and middle layer of the water, whereas Tropheus tend to stay around the bottom. I have no experience with the other species, so I can't comment at all. I think I remember hearing, though, that N. sexfasciatus is quite agressive, if that is really correct (someone else here might be able to comment) then they would be a poor choice for Tropheus.

I hope this helps a little. Have fun and enjoy your fishies (great choice :^: )

Hi Paul -

I'm of the opinion that Tropheus spp. (all of them) should be kept in species tanks (ie: alone).

However, I can strongly discourage either of the two Neolamprologus spp. you mention. Both can be extremely aggressive.

Hi Paul,

Out of those three I would be going with some type of leptosoma. Only if you have to. Maybe some more of the same trophues to fill the tank.

What type of moorii are the three you have?

Steve from WA will see your post and reply I am sure. He is keeping lost of tropheus and has had great successes mixing different localities of trophues not to sure if hehas mixed other cichlids with them.

Hi,

I figured i'd get a lot of people saying dont mix them :unsure

I probaly will eventualy seperate them into different tanks, but would like to have them in the same tank for now. I have a book on Tropheus and it actualy reccomends the Neolamprologus spp. so i'm glad i asked.

Thanks,

Paul

if u want something else in there besides Tropheus I would go for the Cyprichiomis Leptosoma. I think the Neolamprologus spp. would do better on a more omnivore diet. I havent kept them but that is my feeling on seeing other tanks and doing some research myself recently to add some 'dithers" to my red rainbow tank :lol: :lol:

as for aggro - I have seen Cyps survive fine with T so just depends on the luck and maybe the size mix.

my T use the upper part of the tank, even in tanks with little rock

Maz has some Cyps in with his Duboisi so I am sure he will comment more on diet etc.

Good call...here is my comment. :rolleyes:

I do have C.leptosoma(Malasa) with my T.duboisi(Maswa).

They look great and are superb tank-mates. They basiclly ignore each other with the Cyp's being the only fish allowed in the males caves without invitation. They all swim happily in the same water, I have noticed no seperation between upper and lower regions of the tank by the Tropheus...Tho the Cyp's do prefer the Mid-Upper reaches of the water they all share the tank very well.

As for diet, I feed predominantly OSI Spiralina Flake 3 times a day(once a week I might feed Sera Flora for one meal) with a once a week treat of Frozen Brine Shrimp tossed into their soaked Flake. And once a Month I will feed live-brine, once again it is tossed in with their soaked Flake.

I am very happy with them and was chuffed that the WA Tropheus Guru who popped over on Sunday said he was impressed too. :lol: :8

I would highly recommend giving it a go but as advised I would be more careful about the size of the 2 fishes at the time of intoduction, than diet.

Hi,

I had C. leptosomas in with my Bemba Reds and they got hassled so much that I had to remove them. Definately don't go with the Neolamprologous spp. I would try some goby cichlids (make sure your O2 level is high and preferably run a power head across the substrate to provide adequate flow).

merjo

Hi paul

Depending also on your tank size how many in the colony are they juvenile or adults......if they are adults and have always been on their own dont mess with them it will stress the group.

If u want to fill your tank with more fish i would add more of the same kind,the bigger the colony the better they will get on together and aggression will be at a minimal.

I keep my tropheus in species only tanks without any probs.

Just my opinion

I've got 20 Tropheus in with 10 Cyps, and have had for about a year now. I can't agree with the statement that Tropheus only use the bottom of the tank. My tropheus use the whole tank, top to bottom, and they do it flat out and frenetically.

The Cyp males - I ended up with 4 instead of the 2 I originally wanted - have carved out their own territories in the mid water of the tank. These guys are cichlid males and they are as stroppy as the Tropheus. I see one of the Cyp males facing off the dominant tropheus male regularly - they both live in the same part of the tank. These guys would be 10cm, a little bigger than the tropheus.

They all breed like rabbits - tropheus and Cyps. Downside is that the tropheus fry have a better chance of survival than the cyps. I base that on the fact that I have 6 tropheus babies of various sizes in the tank and no young cyps.

I feed OSI Spirulina flakes and HBH Vege flakes - usually three times a day and the Cyps absolutely flourish on the diet. The males are a gorgeous rich blue colour and the females are almost always carrying.

Last Saturday I had to put my Cyprichromis sp. leptosoma Kantalamba, Tanzania in with my Tropheus moorii, Kasanga, Tanzania. I took them out again on Sunday to find all the males were missing some part of there anal fin. Nothing bad but the Tropheus are a little nippy. :)

For the record my Tropheus don’t stick to the bottom half of the tank either. I have 20 in a 6x2x2 and apart from when the foai are breeding, they are the most active fish I have ever kept.

Paul -

I've kept Julies (but dont have much experience with Tropheus).

In a dense rockpile with very narrow crevices (1 cm ish) Julies might be fine... my concern would be with feeding and aggression by the Tropheus. some pieces of slate stacked on top of each other with narrow 1cm "dividers" might be a good way to work it.

Juli's and Tropheus, hmmm...I agree that you could make it happen and closely stacked rocks would be the way to make it safe for the transcriptus.

However, my feeling is that the small cracks and crevices/rock piles, is the same place that the T's will release the youngsters they carry.

Just some food for the thought-plate. :blink

hi i have had jules with duboisi before, currently have leleupi with the duboisi they get along ok. lots of big notting between the males of each but no drammas, except the duboisi eat the leleupi fry! with no adverse effects unles your the fry!lol. the colour contrast between these fish is awsome, can e-mail a piccy if anyone wants! just e-mail me first, subject fishy stuff photos.

Ben,

How old are the Kasangas? I had a colony of them (beautiful fish!) and had a colony of lepto Utintas in with them. No problems, no nipped fins, nothing. :):

But these guys all grew up together. I've found that introducing two adult colonies in the same tank usually causes dramas. One adult colony + a group of juveniles, or two groups of juveniles (to grow into two breeding colonies) definitely works far better for me.

Cheers,

The Kasanga are over 12months old and the cyp's are about 6months.

I try to keep them apart, but some times you have to shuffle fish for a few days while buying and selling fish.

Archived