Electric Yellow Question

frankenstrat

i have 6 F2 electric yellows from german import stock..

the question i have is, 5 of the fish look great, very vibrant and nice finnage and all that, however the largest male, although very bright in colour, has some dirty looking pale black bars and a few blackish markings on his head.

have i been taken for a ride and not actually received the quality ive been told, or is it normal to get these marking from timt to time?

I would like to know where you got them from. There were some "German Yellows" around a few years ago, but that was a scam. Some people wont believe they were had and still sell the fish as "german imports"

I was one that got caught out. Mine all died and so did most of the others that were around. Yours could be some of the fish that remain and may just be normal yellows, but I could be wrong.

Josh

Someone used to sell "German" electric yellows at the auctions almost monthly. Usually only large males. Were they genuine or were they dodgey ? I never bought any because I was skeptical about the labelling.

As far as I know there was only one lot being sold. I think the ones at the auction were part of that group.

So the males at the auction were German or weren't? Out of curiousity which seller has the reputation for having the cleanest brightest yellows going around?

i would rather not name the place i got them from in case they are not what they claim to be, but it was an aquarium that i used to frequenly visit in western sydney.

its only this one large male that looks like that, all the others are very clean and bright

I havent been to an auction for a year or so, but I know the ones that were selling back then were from the "german imports" that were apart of the scam. i dont know what has come into the country in the last few years. There may have been some turn up.

My understanding is that electric yellows are not an allowable import and cannot be imported legally, so any supposedly from German stock would have to be smuggled in. To be honest, with the numbers of electric yellows around in Australia, I doubt anybody would take the risk trying to smuggle any in nowadays.

In my experience, it is not uncommon for a large dominant male electric yellow to show a dark blush in the face and sometimes in the body, probably due to hormones.

Cheers, Doug

Hey frankenstrat

German imports eh not likely I have been breeding yellow labs for years beware buying at the auctions some breeders see it as away of getting rid of the stock they don't want like their males when ur buying yellows try and buy the ones with the light orange line on their flank this will always be a guide as when they grow and their water parameters are perfect and you feed them the best on the market like nls combined with hbh flake u will always get vibrant color and not the washed out look and dark markings with the males

Around the head

Cheers

If I were you I would remove that yellow and stick with your nice ones. Otherwise down the track you will find that your fry will show similar traits. I have bred yellows for years and had one of the nicest colonies going around which was built from some of the best breeders Sydney had to offer. That was until my colony was struck down with wasting that I could never get rid of. :( Anyway I tried to rebuild the colony but it was too late while the parents looked fantastic I was getting around 25% of fry that were simply rubbish so I had to cull them. That was until I found which girl was throwing them. I removed her to the display tank. and reduced the fish my electric whites. Sadly I have lost all of them now except my male he is still a very a nice fish.

cheers.

i have removed that male along with some other smaller fish that started showing blue spots, although they look nice with the blue starting to come through, they are obviously cross bred somewhere down the line....so they all have a home in my display tank now

Archived