Hardest fish?

shelly

Define hard!

I have had trouble breeding some of the more common species and no trouble breeding some of the harder stuff.

Breed B. tricoti and raise the fry, that's a challenge, Some of the catfish can be somewhat hard, or even Petrochromis.

Hi Josh

My definition of hard could include things like

: a species that requires very specific conditions to breed

: a specicies that breeds in small numbers

: a species where the fry are hard to raise

: a species that is rare in the hobby because of trouble breeding them.

I do take your point what is hard for 1 person could be like breathing for another.

Hi Joel

I am hoping that i can find something that can cover some costs, but also wanting a challenge.

Thanx for yr input any other ideas are welcomed

discus ......... for sure if your up for a challange or clown loachs lol coz its never been done .....

this may be a stupid question, but if they're so hard to breed why are there so many of them?

Royal whiptail catfish ... you can get them to breed but raising the fry is the problem as

they are the laziest feeders and will starve to death rather than look for food

super low pH fish like N. transvestitus

the problem is that a lot of the $$$ fish have a limited market as opposed to species that

are easier to breed and sell in qty like Electric Yellow

it's the luck of the draw where you need to have a certain species at a time when there is

more demand than supply

discus ......... for sure if your up for a challange or clown loachs lol coz its never been done .....

this may be a stupid question, but if they're so hard to breed why are there so many of them?

They are all imported from wild caught stock.

I agree with the P. altum suggestion as it will be nice to see more around. Another angel species to consider is P. leopoldi as you hardly ever see them anymore.

If you can get your hands on the very few that are around, Vieja argentea.

Non cichlid fish: Galaxy rasbora or even garra ruffa and have your own spa parties!

Is garra ruffa an option? Do they exist in Oz?

They are not permitted here in Australia. They are not on the Import list and from memory they are on the banned list.

Is garra ruffa an option? Do they exist in Oz?

They are not permitted here in Australia. They are not on the Import list and from memory they are on the banned list.

so are a number of other things, L-numberts, etc & i'll leave it there

Royal whiptail catfish ... you can get them to breed but raising the fry is the problem as

they are the laziest feeders and will starve to death rather than look for food

super low pH fish like N. transvestitus

the problem is that a lot of the $$$ fish have a limited market as opposed to species that

are easier to breed and sell in qty like Electric Yellow

it's the luck of the draw where you need to have a certain species at a time when there is

more demand than supply

I have Had the Lg6 Whiptails breed 3 times in 4 weeks getting me about 60 hatched fry i now have 5 fry that are about 3 months old the rest perished or were eaten but i have learnt from the first big breeding and plan to do things a little different next breeding but these are a definite harder fish to breed and raise

Archived