Advice please on Rack construction

Canberra Alex

HI guys

ive been in contact with a few steel fabricators getting quotes etc on the new racks.

From the half dozen or so people who have quoted I have had several contradicting “recommendations” from ive over engineered it by asking for 40x40x4 or 40x40x5mm square pipe to one guys saying the min I'm going to use is 75x50x4 .

Most of the racks are about 4x2x2 - 2 or 3 tier high.

The biggest is a 6x2x2 two tier rack.

My question is would 40mmx40mmx4mm square steel pipe be strong enough for the bigger rack (for 2 6x2x2s)?

Would anyone recommend 50mmx50mmx4mm angle for the 4 foot racks?(or even the 6x2x2?)

What would your recommendations be on the size and thickness of the steel?

and what have others with bigger tanks on racks gone with and learned from their experiances?

Thanks

Alex

Thanks Jim do you have any flex in the bars in the centre of the span?

No flex or bow at all mate, could have gotten away with the 3mm but for a few bucks more went the 4mm, piece of mind

Hey Guys sorry to jump on this but i was wondering what does it cost to get a rack like that constructed? I have used the racking system available from bunnings but its a bit on the pricy side. wanting to set up some more tanks and was looking at some alternatives. Thanks

This site has not come at a better time!

As imlooking into building my frames over the next week or so

My plan is to build 2 racks 1 being 2.5 x 2 x 2 three teir the other being a 3 teir rack holding 6 3 x2x2 tanks

I have no problem in cutting or welding the steel. It any info would be great on the best method

Plus sizes I should be using

Thank you for your help as I really don't want youse timber !

Space is limited would like to use it the best way I can so pallet racking is not idea for me in this fish house plus price is not suited to invest in the case of getting anything just incase I build a new fish house

Where is the best place to buy this still?

My plan is to build 2 racks 1 being 2.5 x 2 x 2 three teir the other being a 3 teir rack holding 6 3 x2x2 tanks

2 foot deep tanks when racked 3 tiers high will be hard to maintain or catch fish from, even if you have 3m walls. You can keep the same stocking rates if you go 18 inch deep/high and prices of tank will be less too.

• 3 weeks later...

2 foot deep tanks when racked 3 tiers high will be hard to maintain or catch fish from, even if you have 3m walls. You can keep the same stocking rates if you go 18 inch deep/high and prices of tank will be less too.

Yes you are right about that but I have the tanks already so best to put them to use

But I know what you mean if glass is chipped you end up getting a rash on the forearm

Ps where do u guys buy your square tubing silver water?

• 4 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking at building two metal rack's to hold three 5Lx2Wx20H each in a three tier configuration. Will 40x40x4 square steel pipe be sufficient?

Archived