Roof catchment for Fishroom?

brendi

hi guys, looking to plum my shed roof into a large water tank for extra water changes.

my shed is made of tin (bare looking colourbond)

just wondering if anyone has used this sort of catchment bare and had sucess, i was expecting to prob have to use some prime or alpha to remove heavy metals.

secondly would painting this fix the problem?

any advice is appreciated

thanks

I suspect your roof is a zincalume roof an not an old galvenised roof. If that is the case they are rated to allow the collection of drinking water.

Probably the biggest issue would be the type of tank you are storing it in but modern metal tanks have an Aquaplate finish to stop an leaching of metal into the water.

I would plumb into your system a method of allowing the first rain to be diverted and then the water is collected after that. It is fairly simple with some PVC piping and and a couple of fittings i.e. screw end and T fitting.

I would check the chemistry of the rainwater as it can be quit soft.

I would be more worried about road grime and pollution which will settle on your roof especially after long periods of no rain. There are paints available (dulux weathersheild 'roof and trim' comes to mind) that are designed for water collection.

cheers

awesome tanks guys,

im thinking it might be galvanised as it is extremly old, so might have to do a paint job and seal it off, yeah i was thinking of tapping it off during the dry spell and monitoring the weather once some good rain is due ill let the rubbish water clean it then tap into the water tank, i was also going to run the tank water via some reactors of carbon and purigen to polish off any organics, and use a dosing pump and ph comp. to buffer the water when it comes in.

any other suggestions?

Worst I have seen was a mate who collected water off his shed roof for an indoor koi pond (massive dollars worth of fancy carp), the property behind sprayed herbicide with a bit of wind, it settled on his roof. End result was all koi dead. It makes me nervous.

starting to think twice about this, i know it would be beneficial for a catfish or discus system with a low ph, but might consider just sticking with tap water, certainly wont blow the budget considering the price of electricity, uv sterilizer and some carbon and purigen should clean things up nicely

Archived