Moving Fish, Help Needed

aymenz

Hi Guys,

I will be moving houses very soon, hence moving my display and grow up tanks, and was after some advices on the best way to move the tank along with the fish...

Your help would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Aymen

Buckets and battery powered air pumps are the definitely the way to go.

It would help to know how many tanks, filtration and the number and size of the fish but here is some points to consider. The suggestion below is dependent on the type of filtration but I am assuming that it is not a sump.

• Give your gravel a really good vacuum the week before the move.
  • Don't feed the fish the day before.
  • Move one tank at a time. I would aim to move the easiest first.
  • Catch the fish and place in buckets. Add some prime or similar product to their water. Whilst this is not a must it will minimise the risk. Use your battery powered air pumps
  • If you are able to transport a couple of bins/tubs of the water it would be an advantage. I would do a water change a few days before and then siphon out enough water on the day to allow you to fill the tank to 50% capacity. This will just be like doing another water change.
  • Move and set up the first tank and move and set up all your filtration so their is no risk of the bacteria dying during the move.
  • Move your other tank/s using the same method.
  • Don't feed on the day of the move and reduce the normal level of food supplied over the following days.
  • Start to fill the tanks over the next week until you get to the normal operating level.
  • Do regular water tests to check for any spikes.

Alternatively

• Go to Bunnings and buy some of the larger plastic tubs i.e. 120 litre tubs.
  • Half fill these with water from your tanks and add your fish. These can be transported over to the new house.
  • Add some more water until they are 80% full and then set up your filters.
  • Move your tanks and use the water from the tubs to fill your tanks.
  • Add fish and don't feed for the day and then feed a reduced amount for the next few days.
  • Start to fill the tanks over the next week until you get to the normal operating level.
  • Do regular water tests to check for any spikes.

If you have a sump I will need to reconsider my advice.

I hope that helps

Thanks guys for all the advices...

No sump pump Ged, just a twin Canisters..

I'll let you know how the fish settle...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived