My shed project

mattrox

I can't help but smile at the dead lock (and what looks to be a solid door) with foam walls.... :happy:

I assume you will be cladding the outside too?

I will be cladding the outside. I'll be making it difficult to just walk in and take fish. I'll be padlocking the shed too. The door was just sitting around in the shed.....

The juggling of tanks, stands and fish has begun.

I am taking the opportunity to lightly sand and rust protect the stands while the tanks are not on them. I'll be getting a dehumidifier or heat recapture ventilation system in the shed to help reduce this problem. But I'll slowly start replacing racks with wooden ones over the next couple years. I am slowly accumulating tools and skills that I need to do this properly.

Moving/tearing down the tanks gives me the chance to have a second look at the species I keep and hopefully be adding a couple of species to the list.

Nice man, now you can prepare for the stuffy feeling of the foam lol, In summer I find I always need a fan in there.

The foam is actually stronger then what most people think, I have some panels tight fitted which we whacked with a mallet and left little to no marks. Pushing them out is also quite hard. Quite solid if I may say.

Nice man, now you can prepare for the stuffy feeling of the foam lol, In summer I find I always need a fan in there.

The foam is actually stronger then what most people think, I have some panels tight fitted which we whacked with a mallet and left little to no marks. Pushing them out is also quite hard. Quite solid if I may say.

I think a de-humidifier/heat recapture ventilation will be a must. Or opening the room up for a while over night on the warm nights.

yeah, My walls are left open and it does get very humid and stuffy in there already, but holds the heat well.

hopefully you wont get this issue but sometimes water may drip from the ceiling when u air the room out and heat it back up.

• 1 month later...

Have you had much problems with rust and anything common with it's location.

I had problem with rust on one rack until I realised that where the lids were cut on the corners caused increase in moisture.

Rust is where water droplets accumulate as you say. Mattenfilters have less fine droplet spray than regular sponges. And rust is where ever water sits when it splashes, e.g. netting fish and tanks overflowing when forgetting the hose.

Hi Matt

have a friend in melb that is changing his stands over to wood

even though the stands were hot gal coated they have still rusted away

due to the high moisture in his rooms

no I didn't over flow the tank ....... I'm cleaning the floor :roll

I will probably change to timber slowly. It will be cheap enough to build them myself, bought the metal ones as I needed to set up multiple racks quickly and was cheaper than getting someone else to build timber ones.

I think with a dehumidifier I can really reduce rust.

• 1 month later...

20121229_173340.jpg

I got the 4x 3ft tanks and 6ft tank in this rack filled and heated. I got the air system in. The Resun LP 40 from indoors and the pvc air manifold are all working properly with all sponge filters being driven by this now. I used irrigation dripper line fittings with the threads this time rather than drilling and gluing air line in, it took longer but will be more flexible when changing things around.

The shed is still a construction zone so excuse the mess.

Archived