Black & White Malawi?

dazzman

excellent work guys thanks :no:

i think my favourites are Lab.c.Nkhali and Mel.parallelus.

the only problem is that they clash (chance of cross breeding/violence) with what will be some of the other tankmates.

i have got my hands on some really good quality Labidochromis Caeruleus and Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos juvenilles.

i guess i could just get a couple of female Nkhali and just let them spit (and let the fry get eaten) if she ever spawns.

or

kill 2 birds with one stone by ditching the Maingano's and get a small colony (1m/3F) of parallelus which would give me the black and white i'm after + black and blue of the male.

then maybe add a couple of black and blue vertical stripped mbuna to make up for the missing maingano colours.

do female Lab.c.Nkhali look just like the males? and what about the availability of the 2?

A Latisfasciata is good for black and white, but it is a Victorian not a Malawi cichlid.

I realise this, was just suggesting something suitable that would get on with other malawans. Are you specifcally after a Malawan? If not, N.tretocephalus would also fit in. Awesome fish, nice black and white with blue hue along the fins.

Cheers

Jon

I can't see the water conditions bothering them, in my experience they were quite hardy. I had a group in with 4 leleupi, 2 of which were quite small, the trets had a look but never touched them, the aggression seemed to more towards it's own species, and even then I would compare it to that of mbuna. I'm yet to see it's bad reputation, I have not however seen them in breeding behaviour, this maybe is where the aggression may increase? Depending on what you're after, I'm sure a single fish would be fine in your display.

Jon

How has no-one suggested some black or white calvus. Although now that I think about it they are predominately black or white...

Still, they are a nice looking fish. Tank shots when complete please Darrin.

John

Because he asked about a Malawi display tank :)

well it's not what i expected but seeing as my searches for Nkhali and Parallelus weren't getting me anywhere (things may have been different if i lived in Sydney) i had to go Tanganyikan and as of very recently i am now the proud owner of a 3.5cm Kigoma Frontosa! .

I got him as part payment when i sold of some of my Mbuna colonies to a local breeder who also breeds these and assured me that he would be fine in my Malawi setup, woo hoo! i realise that eventually it will get too big for a 6ft x 14" x 18" and i will have to move it on but that's a long way down the track, thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Archived