Tankmate for red devil

Citypainter

I have a 10" Red devil alone in a 4ft tank.

He is not that aggressive and I was wondering would any one know of a fish that might be compatable.

I doubt that a cichlid would go with him.

Maybe you have the answer. ohmy.gif

Its probably nice as its the only one in the tank! they are mean!!! lol, um if you can find something around the same size you could try but trying to get a 10" RD to be friendly with anything else could be hard.... sorry

adam

I would like to try a Jag but if they fight then I am stuck with another fish that would be hard to house.

I have been thinking about making lots of little caves and putting in some Neets or convicts.

anyone got an opinion on this.

If you had caves then i'd try cons, as they are cheap and if they end up as dinner its not a $12 fish per fish.... give it a go, and tell me how you go, its funny you can put cons with a RD but i hace them with baby clown loaches, and an oscar as well as a GT and the cons keep to themselves

adam

Neets would work better than convicts IMO, much faster, and stay a little smaller to fit into those lil caves no dramas.

In a 4' tank though - I think its a bit small to worry about tankmates.

sorry to but in but what would peoples thoughts be on keeping 45cm saratoga in with a 20-25cm male red devil(5x2x2)? the devil has always had his own tank and has NEVER been with company before. he is pretty aggressive, but has only bitten me twice, and the toga is fairly placid and have never had problems keeping it with cichlids a 1/4 of its size.

What are your thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Beau.

I had a large male red devil years ago, named Chester (red devils=Manchester United... laugh.gif ). Anyway, I had him in a 4*18*18 with half a dozen or so large spanner barbs...he never touched them.

merjo smile.gif

IMO the saratoga would rip the living poo out of your red devil, australian natives are way more agressive than cichlids, if you go to upmarket aquarium in melbourne city they have a saratoga which would absolutley slaughter a red devil half its size, it lives in a tank with jack dempseys, flowerhorns and jags... they all get picked on and they arent little.

adam

• 2 weeks later...

Dave'

I honestly reckon that big red devils are happiest on their own!

Why dont you bring your guy over to my place one day and we'll put him in with Mr Bubbles and see what happens under controlled conditions ( ie able to pull him out immediately theres any problem).

I've tried putting mine into various tanks with Black Belts, Jags, Cubans,Petentia Splendida, GTs, and he hated it.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I would like to see that, but would't putting 2 males together be asking for trouble!!

Not only that but I do wanna keep him.

I had a rogue FAE in another tank and he is now living with the red devil.

Or should I say co-existing with him.

The FAE lives under the rocks and the Devil is always digging around trying to get at him but the FAE is too smart.

It keeps the tank a bit more lively for now.

Also Nick I have what I believe to be a female Polleni.

How are your Pollenis going.

Are you interested in taking mine and breeding them?

If so drop me an email.

Dave

user posted image

I got this lovely lady in with 4 small convicts 2 males 2 females. 2 normal colour 2 white colour. they are fine... i've set up the tank with a heap of rocks with holes in them like mini cazves along the bottom of the back of the tank, then 3 bits of big driftwood for a wall along the back of the tank. with the amount of holes between the rocks and the driftwood, there is HEAPS of hidey holes for my 2 lots of convicts. the only thing is that feeders tend to hide in these holes which kinda sucks for poor old raymond (the RD).

• 4 weeks later...

devils are way better off on their own. Do you think it messes with their heads being alone, every cichlid i've kept alone in a tank goes mental. i have a male pollieni that thinks he owns my fish room

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Danielk, your little devil should be ok inm with them but i wouldnt leave it for any longer than a couple of months as they do grow very quick and will get real nasty. Benno

Archived