Zebra obliquidens - discussion

AUSCichlidBreeder

They should be referred to as Zebra Obliquidens. AS they come from different lake and genus then Crimson Tides.

They are quite rare and considered endangered.

FYI:

http://www.cichlid-f...ic.php?t=235947

Astatotilapia latifasciata or Haplochromis latifasciatus. Scientific Name

Quoted from above.

Hi Haplochromis is used as generic genus because os the many intermediate forms between Greenwood genuines, Astatotilapia is by far too general(it has to be precised) yu can find many different fishes using differents foods and techniques to collect it so this makes it unuseful as Greenwood stated it in his last days.

They should be referred to as Zebra Obliquidens. AS they come from different lake and genus then Crimson Tides.

They are quite rare and considered endangered.

FYI:

http://www.cichlid-f...ic.php?t=235947

Astatotilapia latifasciata or Haplochromis latifasciatus. Scientific Name

Quoted from above.

Hi Haplochromis is used as generic genus because os the many intermediate forms between Greenwood genuines, Astatotilapia is by far too general(it has to be precised) yu can find many different fishes using differents foods and techniques to collect it so this makes it unuseful as Greenwood stated it in his last days.

They "SHOULD" be but in Australia the wrong name has stuck. Even the wholesaler says so. They might be wrong, but every LFS that relies on the wholesaler has named them this way for a long time.

http://www.premierpe...SON-TIDE/pd.php

I don't believe they look completely different to what WE all know as crimson tides. Although terrific quality compared to that in shops. Now if u were selling true crimson tides as per google then I'm sure people would be all over them.

I don't think a couple of people on a forum is going to change the whole hobby into labelling crimson tides "zebra obliquidens".

But this is all just my opinion others will most definitely feel different.

Yeah these things get around quite a bit in nsw

Sold as crimson tides and they breed like rabbits

I had some but they just produced way more fry than i could sell or house

Very nice male you have though

alot of the stock in shops down here dont have much blue just more reds and yellows

I do breed these as well, so far 4 batches with about 30 fish in each, the 1st one can't even sell down here in Sydney...

They are currently around 4-5cm and the LFS will not take them if they are smaller than 5 cm, pretty nice fish, but breed like rabbits...

You'll most likely end up getting rid of them in the long run...

Cheers

Because we have a different opinion to you or because your fish is run of the mill down here it doesn't mean we are uneducated. I admit your fish look great and probably are mislabelled as crimson tides but what I'm saying is in every fish shop I have been to those fish are labelled as crimson tides and will continue to do so. I could walk into a dozen fish shops and say I've got zebra obliquidens and receive a dumbfounded look until they saw the fish and correct me as crimson tides.

Because we have a different opinion to you or because your fish is run of the mill down here it doesn't mean we are uneducated. I admit your fish look great and probably are mislabelled as crimson tides but what I'm saying is in every fish shop I have been to those fish are labelled as crimson tides and will continue to do so. I could walk into a dozen fish shops and say I've got zebra obliquidens and receive a dumbfounded look until they saw the fish and correct me as crimson tides.

Couldnt agree more :)

Selling in bulk to a wholesaler is about the only way to get rid of crimson tides :)

Yes, through habitat loss due to introduced food species.

You keep saying it, but I'm not sure how you feel it is relevant to making sales the Australian hobby?

In Australia they are abundant, yes yours are nicer than alot that are around, but given the quantities they churn out you might be better off not raising so many fry if you don't want to offload them incredibly cheap to wholesalers.

I used to have a pair years ago which were a dither fish among other colonies. I only raised about 1 batch in 6 and still had an oversupply. Treat them like breeding Americans. Keep them breeding and going through the motions but use 90% of the new hatched fry become fodder for whatever else you're growing out.

There used to be several small wholesalers in QLD who bought from hobbiests, I don't have details handy but google should be helpful. I've never sold to the big two.

Yep spot on amenz. Going to through the last batch of fry through as a few LFS are buying them. I also sell the males for display tanks.

Going to put a few other cichlids in there any suggestions, ones that can handle this brood?

Thanks gav.... I am trying to source a good line of Cuckoo cats, any suggestions... would like to see them do their naughty swap with the mouth brooders. Hopefully going to pick up some Manganos from a local breeder :) That with a few more Plecos should be an interesting mix....are cats hard to resell?

Im here for the hobby but I do want to be paid for my time, so far im just ahead but its getting harder.... times are tough I guess.

i dont think you necessarily need to find a good line of cuckoo cats, as from what I have seen they are generally very good quality here. What I would suggest is that you look up DFishKeeper on here or on the queensland aquarium forums as he breeds cuckoo cats and is on the gold coast as far as I know. sourcing any fish from him would mean you are getting top notch stock.

for other cichlids that I have in the tank are Red Rubin Peacocks and Electric Blues, they are all breeding at the moment, have mouthful from all of them but really short on space due to the large amount form the Crimsons...

I also have a pair of brichardis, a trio of Horiis and a pair of Black Calvus in there with a male Electric Yellow and they are all doing great....

All the best wit the Cuckoo mate.

Archived