Bigger bulkhead

Willo

Hey all - I currently have a 40mm bulkhead, and would like a larger one to allow greater flow to the sump. I have a large return pump at the moment, and pretty sure the bulkhead is my bottleneck.

Anyway, is this a dumb idea? I'm guessing there is gonna be risk in drilling the tank, but don't really know how great the risk is. Would happily pay a professional to do it, but don't even know if it's possible to increase the size of an existing hole, safely.

A second hole is not feasible due to the existing hole being in the middle of the weir.

Cheers,

Tony

Eeep, sorry - revisted my situation - currently have approximately 48mm hole, and 25mm piping running to my sump. Guessing this means I have a 25mm (1") bulkhead.

I have a 7500lph pump, running at a head of about 1.5m, and think this is too much for the size of bulkhead.

Why not just get a bigger bulk head for that size hole and up size the plumbing to it? I know I have seen a post on here that had a table with what size holes fit what size bulkhead.

Sadly, I can't move up to the 40mm bulkhead, as it requires a 48mm hole, and I must be half a mm off, as I can't get the bulkhead through. It's so frustrating, as the existing hole is so close, but not quite.

I'll talk to a glazier and see what the reckon.

Edit:

Disregard the last - Have been able to go to a 32mm bulkhead. Seems to be coping a lot better. Shame I couldn't fit the 40mm, but at least i don't have to worry about drilling glass.

Kudos to Dural Irrigation... stock a good range of plumbing, not readily available at Bunnings.

FYI - Little did I know, but having the piping from the bulkhead to the sump as a vertical drop is not good. Today, I put a couple of 45degree bends in, and the sound is SOOO much better. Can't believe I've been putting up with 20mm pipe and vertical drop from durso for so long.

With the increase to a 32mm bulkdhead, and a sloping pipe from the bulkhead, everything is running much smoother. Thanks for the tips.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/faq/45-flushing-effect-why-does-the-water-level-go-up-and-down

Don't really know what you mean. I have a hole at the top of the durso. Recently added a tube to the hole which allows me to fine tune the amount of air (stole the part from a powerhead). No holes below the bulkhead however. I get a lot of air through the sump, but the baffle system seems to sort that out.

Hi Willo

Have you also installed a breather in your out pipe (I use a T elbow with an extension to make it taller than the tank water level so it doesnt overflow)...it makes a huge difference

Archived