Malawi Bloat and the final results

aymenz

Hi Guys,

Can everyone who had some drama with fighting The Malawi Bloat list their approach in this thread so that we can all benefit from?

Also listing the type of fish you were treating, size of tank, medication used, period of medication, and the final results.

I start with mine and please let me know if it is ok or I need to do some changes...

Fish treated: 2 females Horri and 1 Females Electric Yellow

Tank Size: 1 Footer (20 Litres)

Medication: Epsom Salt and Flagyl

Period of Treatment: 5 Days (still counting)

Approach: Quarantined all fish in 1 1 footer with small hang on filter and a Heater, added the water from the 4 footer tank which was housing all 3 fish after a 50% monthly water change.

Added some coral sand

Added half tablespoon of epsom salt into a cup and with the tank water, mixed and dipped some pellets in it as they are still eating, then added the water into the tank with the pellets.

Later on, got 400mg tablets from my GP chopped into 4 parts, as only 100mg is required for 20 litres, crushed it and using the same way with the epsom salt, but twice daily and increased the temp to 29.

Will be doing this for the next few days...

Am I doing anything wrong here? is water change required, and if so how much? can I leave the carbon in the filter or should it be removed.... Are the Dosage and period of treatment correct?

TIA, and would like to here from others.

Thanks mate,

so to be exactly right, keep on adding the flagyl mix twice a day without any carbon in the filter and to feed them soaked pellets/flakes if they are eating.

What's better soaking the food in Epsom Salt or Falgyl?

Much Appreciated.

Based on what I have read on different forums and specifically here, it looks like Malawi bloat for the female horiis, but a bit suspicious towards the yellow as there is no white feaces.

How do you treat dropsy anyway?

I am only feeding them once a day in case they don't eat, will be however alternating each day

Cheets

Dropsy, what I have read is not really treatable. The fish may get better they may not. It is caused from poor water conditions, and from your previous post it would be a better fit to a possible sickness for the fish.

I think its best to regard bloat and dropsy as symptoms not diseases.There appear to be lots of underlying infections that produce the symptoms.Both are an accumulation of fluid in the body cavity because of organ failure (gut,kidney,liver esp)Dropsy seems a more acute problem and is rapidly fatal.This is usually due to an acute bacterial infection.The primary cause of both is immunosupression caused by poor water ,poor food, parasitic load or other stressors.It's obviously best to prevent it as cure is quite difficult once the process has started.Broad spectrum antibiotics are the best option.If the fish wont eat then the chances of cure lessened (Flagyl is poorly water soluble)

Epsom salts seems effective in mild cases,there is argument as to whether its better added to the water or put in the food

See the epsom salt treatment sticky in this sub folder, most cases of "bloat" are caused by intestinal flagellates (typically spironucleus vortens, in ornamental species) which if the fish are all still eating is rather easy to successfully treat.

It looks like issues are resolved now, the females horris are swimming and looking for food again, the yellow as well got the color back and also searching for food.

Done a 50% water change and will be feeding with epsom salt for the next 2 days then moving them to the 4 footer where they belong....

Thanks to all of you guys, much appreciated.

Archived