New Fish Room. Working journal.

THUNDERCAT

Hi guys, Decided to build a new fish room to combat rising electricity prices. The room will take up about a third of my double garage. Im lining the room with sisalation which is a great moisture barrier and has an insulation rating of R1.3.

The room will be about 10 feet by 12 feet and when finished should house about 20 tanks.

Here are some pics. all pics are taken with my iphone so the quality wont be great.

Also, the room will house Africans manily.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Good plan...also if thats a plaster board ceiling get ready for some serious moisture and mould (and potentially collapse) think about adding some vents or a small extraction fan

Looking good though :)

Good plan...also if thats a plaster board ceiling get ready for some serious moisture and mould (and potentially collapse) think about adding some vents or a small extraction fan

Looking good though :)

I plan on covering the ceiling with sisalation as well. Additionally there is a window which will have a fan pushing air out running on a timer which should ocmbat the moisture issue hopefully.

I hope you aren't to big a guy. From your rough measurements you will only have approx 800mm between each row of tanks. This will make it hard to work on the bottom ones unless you crawl around on your knees.

The window is going to be the biggest problem. All that insulation is going to be wasted if the window is left untouched.

Josh

I was looking at the gap between tanks and wondering also

BTW do you mean a superb specimen of the male gender like us ;)

when you refer to "too big a guy"

room looks good but I would consider double galzing the window when you do the vent

seal any joints in the lining boards and paint them if you have the time

find somewhere for a fan to circulate the air and keep temps even otherwise

you get a thermocline hot high and colder low also helps reduce evaporation

so long as you have lids on the tanks moisture should not be a huge problem

what are you going to use to heat the room - in tank, electric column heater, gas

or reverse cycle air con

if you have the room find somewhere to stack your water change barrels

keep us posted on the progress

Chris

Archived