Did my bristlenose Breed?

aymenz

Hi Guys,

To my surprise I was cleaning the tank and was landscaping some of the shells to find the male bristlenose under one of the shells with some orange slimy little balls...

Are these eggs, and if so how long do they need to hatch?

Also can I keep them in the same tank with the other malawies or should I isolate them?

Here is a pic:

IPB Image

TIA

look like eggs, they dont take long to hatch and then the fry will be delicious snacks for the malawis. if you want to keep them i would isolate them with the male so he can continue to care for them, he may not like this and abandon them im which case you can use an egg tumbler or even an airstone near the eggs to keep water moving past them

good luck

I agree, certainly look like eggs to me, Mine were always orange in color and a around 2 mm across. I had 2 pair in with my cichlids and after almost 2 years I think I had 2 survivors, 1 was lucky enough to be sucked into the filter and I found it at about 2cm. They spawned about every 6 weeks so the rest of the tank would chow down on them when they could get to them, the julies and leluupi's could fit in past the blocking males a lot of the time.

Archived