red devils

Peter_Gun_Riff

With HUGE lips... well that just sounds like a Cichlasoma labiatum, unsure if you can wild-caughts in AUS, never seen one, but yeh they are only about $3 here... melb..

adam

Almost definately hybrids coming out of "that pond" IMO after studying pictures of the fish that have been taken. There is too much variation in body and head shape, which do not comply with either species. I think the original stock were a variety of red devil hybrids. I wonder if it is possible that from the hybrids, each species reverts back to its true forms, and takes on seperate niche's in that system?

<Hypothesizing hat on!>

Well, the hybrids in the ponds are all the result of a restricted gene pool being added to a virgin environment, (virgin re: no cichlids). But now that they have been inter breeding and are apparently established, there is the possibility that they have combined genetic characteristics in order to survive here. So as hobbyists we see it as Hyrbridisation.

So, when does a hybrid become a species???

IMO the hybridisation of the red devils in "that pond" occured long before their introduction to the Australian hobby, or to that waterway. It is my belief, and many will disagree, that all the red devils brought into Australia were hybrids from the start.

It is only recently that the distinction between the 2 wild species was actually taken notice of by hobbiests, and all the initial red devils in the hobby worldwide were the result of tank breeding hybrids, I believe Australia's stocks came from these lines.

Archived