Bristlenose question

JayT

Hi Guys,

I have two female BN's both around 10 - 12 cms in size that usually have very little to do with each other, however, they have spent the best part of today and tonight holed up together (playfully) in a small cave that was once owned by a large female aulonocara whom they will not let in there anymore.

I'm not really sure what they are up to ?

Will female BN's still lay eggs without a male present to fertilise and look after them ? I would have thought not - except that the behaviour i am observing is what i would usually expect from a breeding pair ?

They won't even come out for spirulina tablets which they usually smell within 5 - 10 seconds of being in the tank and head straight for them.

What gives ?

Regards JayT

Are you positive that you have sexed them correctly?

Are you positive that you have sexed them correctly?

yeah mate, absolutely certain :yes:

have kept and bred them many times before, thats why i'm so perplexed as to what they are up to :confused:

:blink they are still in there and doing the same thing this morning :blink

have shone a torch into the cave and cant see that they are up to anything in particular but the behaviour is really strange :confused:

like i said before, if it was a pair i would be expecting eggs - will they lay eggs still without a male in the tank ? i wouldn't have thought so personally.

Anybody have any ideas ?

If a female is full of eggs I would have expected them to lay them regardless of no male but not too sure what bring son the egg production. I had a female full of eggs for a long time, the male was too young but never saw her lay any. I thought they had been laid and just eaten but thats just my thoughts.

If a female is full of eggs I would have expected them to lay them regardless of no male but not too sure what bring son the egg production. I had a female full of eggs for a long time, the male was too young but never saw her lay any. I thought they had been laid and just eaten but thats just my thoughts.

cheers for the reply - i suppose time and torchlight will tell if they still lay without a male in the tank.

If they did, i would imagine the eggs will be eaten really quickly given it's the male BN's that would usually protect them.

I have some very inquisitive aulonocara as to what's going on in there, particulary the one who has been kicked out of 'her' cave :roll

well nothings changed there both still at it in the cave for most of the day ...

i'm fairly sure eggs are on the way - on the odd few occasions when they have come out i have noticed that both are looking very ripe and rounded on there undersides.

will see what happens but seems really strange to me.

Does anyone else know of female BN's laying eggs when there is not a male in the tank ? or more to the point ... x2 two of them doing it at the same time together :blink

why dont yoy buy a male for the 2 mate. Save alot of confusion.

As for eggs i too am now curious as to what happens when no male is present ti fertalise.

no point in buying a male as i'm packing everything up and moving permanently to Perth in three weeks time, otherwise i would - will let you know what happens though anyway. There still at it today.

they will lay eggs, but others will eat the unfertile eggs

someone near u must have a male

:blink:roll

Archived