Ick and fin rot outbreak

Saroon

I bought some fish last week from Livefish.com.au, they arrived in a styrofoam box all alive, what i failed to do was have a closer look at the fish. As it turns out the male swordtail I purchased has Ick, I didnt notice it till I added him to my already established tank, the white styro box made it difficult to spot it. So now i have Ick running through my tank, I went and purchased Jungle Tank buddies Ick clear and medicated accordingly (I have a 80ltr tank so it was 2 tablets every 24hrs with 25% water change invbetween re treatments) now its been 4 days and the ick on the male sword has been reduced but not gone but the Ick has spread to other tank mates, and on top of it I now have a major fin rot case on my hands too (the fin rot started the same time as I started the Ick treatment and now on my angelfish and one female sword its getting bad).

So my question is should I continue with Ick treatments till its 100% gone then deal with the fin rot or take care of the fin rot first? What brand of Ick medication have others had success with?

P.S. My water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite : 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

PH: 7.5

Temp: 25

About a week and a half before the Ick cmae I had started using Aqua master Tropical conditioning salts.

Im using a Hydor Prime 10 canister filter and took out the carbon before i started treatment.

drop an airstone in the tank and increase temp to 28 to get the ich to cycle

to free swimming stage as this is the only stage they are vulnerable to treatment

always run 2 courses of the medication

Chris

Sweet, I did not know that, the packaging said that i didnt need to worry about the temp. I'll up the temp as you said and run some more treatments through, then put some anti-fingus medication through after. Thanks for that :)

I have uped the temp to 28 and switched to Aquamaster's Multi Cure, it says its for White spot, velvet and fungus. Its got Malachite Green, Methylene Blue, and Acriflavine so hopefully this knocks it all on the head. Plus I have added a second airstone too.

Lost 3 fish so far, 1x Neon Tetra, 1x Harlequin Rasbora, and the angelfish in avatar (she had gotten quite big)

Not happy, I've had that angel for over a year

I havn't had to pre-treat a tank before adding fish before, this was the first time I had ordered fish online too. Absent-mindedness on my part coupled with no quarantine tank has landed me in a not very good situation

sometime the hobby sux huge when you experience something like this

but it's all part of the experience

I prefer the Aquasonic Ichaway as it's OK for loaches and catfish

Ich affects different species in varied ways from fatal to an annoying itch

and meds can effect the water parameters and filter bacteria so test kits

are handy also

remember that if you can't quarantine then try and have some basic meds

at hand especially for white spot

I know the feeling of having something die and something spawn in the same tank

while you just look and scratch your head while saying to yourself WTF :dntknw:

it comes down to immunity that is built up then adding an unknown variable from a fish

that is carrying a different strain of pathogen that ends up infecting the tank stock

remember all pathogens can be carry by anything wet nets, hands, plants, substrate

and containers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Ok its over now, the whitespot is gone and so is the finrot. This was the first major outbreak I've had to deal with, tell you what it wasn't fun and I'm glad it is over :) The tank looked empty once I finished the treatments.

I went out and bought some more fish the other day, ended up getting 1x male swordtail, 6x Rummynose tetras, 2x Flame Gouramis (a male an female).

Everything is looking good so far :)

Thanks heaps for all the advice

Archived