advice for "rocked" aquarium

lucifuge

hi all, I'm re-birthing my large 6ft tank (6ftx2ftx2ft). I've already got the gravel substrate in and want have a stacking of rocks in the background. These may eventually climb to half the tanks height and be quite wide. The rocks will be largish; 10cm-20cm in size.

My question is this; should I underlay some sort of base material (sheeting) to distribute the downward pressure of the rocks, but more importantly, minimise the rocks from graduating downwards underneath the substrate and resting on the glass? My high level thought is to lay a 20cm wide x 6ft wide strong sheeting of appropriate material. It will eventually be covered by the building of layers of rocks, but this is in interests of long term safety of the tank.

As an aside, what sort of downward pressure is associated with a wall of rocks in such an aquarium?

came across an alternative approach and wanted to run it past you guys.

Bunnings sells the classic DIY metal shelving. It's white and I'm guessing enamel coated, pained white in any event. The length and width are perfect for me, can you see this being an issue in the tank?

coated or not i think having metal under water is not good idea. best bet is use egg crate or even bread crate, just cut the outside off using a jigsaw or other appropriate tool and your set, distributes the weight out. No matter which you go just make sure you stack the rocks up carefully having rock crumble down, whether or not you have shelving or eggcrate there is still a chance of damage to the tank.

What’s to stop gravel getting between egg crate and glass? With rocks on top of egg crate all weight will be directed to a little point where the gravel is wedged. Is this a problem? Is it a problem with rocks sitting directly on glass?

With tank dry, use aquarium safe silicone and lay some cable worms where you want the rocks to go. Once dry put rocks on that directly, or perhaps put the egg crate on the dried worms.

Problem with egg crate also is with cichlids that dig, the ugly white lattice can be potentially exposed – not a good look.

Archived