Sump pump

krellious

They are used quite frequently in marine setups that people try to do with a budget. They get an OK review, but can be noisier then other pumps and are not that power efficient (100w for 3500l).

If you have more money to spend you can't beat the new Rio pumps. Very power efficient, very small and quality made.

On a last note you need to remember when purchasing larger pumps for use in sumps that they produce heat. You want to minimise this heat for several reasons;

- It's unregulated - no themostat so will continue producing heat 24/7. Higher temperatures equals less dissolved oxygen in the water.

- Costs of power increasing. Cheaper pumps usually equal less efficient pumps. Is the cheaper initial price really less then what it will cost to run and replace when it fails?

Cheers mate.

covered what i needed to know. Also this is my first sump so what litres per hour should i be after to filter the tanks? aprox 650 litres worth. Is it still the same as with a canister ie 4x or should i be looking for more due to the need to pump water higher then a canister would?

Hmm I have never had any issues and have seen many used with no issues. Guess you just have to keep in mind you hear the negatives alot more then the positives.

Other pumps to look at would be eheim & ocean runner.

As for flow through the sump it depends on your filtration (What is it?).

If it's a wet/dry bioball setup a higher flow will be of benefit because it will provide plenty of oxygenated water for the aerobic bacteria.

I'm guessing this is a freshwater setup, which likely suggests the only flow in the tank will be from the return. In this case 4 x flow won't be enough to keep all the detritus from settling in the gravel and under rocks. I'd aim higher if I could, maybe up to 10 x per hour but like I said it depends on filtration methods and also type of tank (What fish are you keeping).

Lastly keep in mind the total flow doesn't have to pass through the sump. You can use wavemakers (as used in marine setups) or even airstones to create currents and circulation in the tank.

EDIT: The reviews of the rios on masa may have been on the old range which by all accounts were junk. Look up their new Hyperflow range of pumps.

i used to have a setup with 7 sumps running. started with a mixture of ocean runner and eheim, ended up with only eheim. i found eheim more reliable, more durable, quieter and cheaper to run. while the initial outlay is higher, in time it is worth it.

i should add that the reason to replace other brands was that over time they stopped being effective with head heights of 2m. flow reduced to a level that was not enabling the tanks to be filtered. i found this did not happen with the eheims, and have one that i got second hand 8 years ago that is still powering on as well as a new one I have at a head height of 2m. i personally couldnt justify any other brand in my sumps any more.

thanks guys.

and yes it is a african set up so no salt. Do you think i will need 5000l at minimum? I will try to explain as it is a home made sump i recently purchased.

the intake from the tanks is pumped into a try that is secured to the brace of the bottom tank. This has wholes and i will fill it with bio balls. This drip's down into a black tub that sits under the bottom tank. This contain another tray i will fill with filter wool or some kind of matting and also some scoria or something similar. Then i am left with open space for the heater and the pump.

I really do hope that makes sense. And if all else fails i will plug the wholes in the tank and get a good air pump :)

I am using an Eheim compact 3000 for 450l tank & 2' sump.

Adjustable, but running it on slowest setting.

Flat out its nearly a hose!! edit: at 1.5m lift!! :clap

(Use the largest fitting & dimension hose accordingly.)

Really impressed. :thumbup:

hth,

Old Dave

I am using an Eheim compact 3000 for 450l tank & 2' sump.

Adjustable, but running it on slowest setting.

Flat out its nearly a hose!!

(Use the largest fitting & dimension hose accordingly.)

Really impressed. :thumbup:

hth,

Old Dave

I hadn't heard of this/these new eheim model. While eheim excel in all other areas, they don't have much head. What is the head hight like for them?

Technical data 2000 3000 5000

Pump output approx I/h 1000-2000 1500-3000 2500-5000

Del.head approx Hmax m 2.3 3.0 3.0

Dimensions HxWxD mm 138x32x126 138x32x126 138x32x126

As I read that the 3000 model at 3m head = no water? Hmax = Maximum head, which it says the height is 3m. So does that mean it will not pump water at and beyound that height? Sorry I'm not sure as these new Eheim pumps can be wound back and a volume selected as well.

I agree with Gav, Eheim are great, but they normally don't perform at head so other pumps may be a better choice. I am currently using an OR, the second one over the last ten years.

Oase are a fantastic pump, they basically take over where eheim leave off, but they come with a $ tag (as do Eheim.

There's a new pump in Australia now, I understand it will be available for sale in about 3 weeks. Here's a link to the OS web site. I understand they have a very good reputation and I'll probably use one when I relocate my fish room and replace my OR.

https://sklep.aquael.pl/webapp/wcs/stores/s..._category=10504

Ring Chris 0415 788788 for further information as I don't know much more than what can be found in the web site.

Craig

...So does that mean it will not pump water at and beyound that height?...

Yup, that is my understanding.

...Oase are a fantastic pump, they basically take over where eheim leave off, but they come with a $ tag (as do Eheim....

Yes, they're. But after had 2 failed within 3yrs, I'm not so sure anymore...I'm on the 3rd, will see how it goes.

Forgot laguna - gets excellent reviews by all users. I havn't used it myself though.

i use a laguna never had a problem but where i usually get my fish products as i wanna upgrade to a bigger pump recommened the ocean runners he said there very good and quiet

Yes, they're. But after had 2 failed within 3yrs, I'm not so sure anymore...I'm

on the 3rd, will see how it goes.

Really? Wow.

Mine has I think a six year warranty, did yours?

The warranty is 5 (3 standard + 2 extended). Got the 1st one replaced just in time.

The second pump started to play up after 2 or so years in use. It trips the house circuit breaker few minutes after it is turned on. Sent to the distributor, strangely they couldn't find any fault. Got it back, but never used it.

Archived