Petrochromis

nanikjava

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in Cichlid and been reading of Petro and Tropheus at the moment and I notice that people are very keen on Petro and for some reason I feel that Petro is like the 'golden boy/girl' compare to Tropheus, can anybody tell me why ? is it because of their behaviour or something ?

What are the experience of people in the forum of keeping Petro ?

Cheers mates.

Found the following video for Petro and it just blew my mind away at home the Petro 'mama' can care for the big babies in her mouth...one word...INCREDIBLE !

Video Link

Tropheus are mouth brooders too.

But do Tropheus let 5cm juvies back in their mouths to hide?

I'm guessing they are popular due to their size and the behaviour observed in that clip.

In my experience, Petrochromis are beautiful, but frightfully aggressive. A lot of colonies have "imploded" due to the adults killing each other. To keep Petros successfully, I would suggest a very large aquarium, at least 8'x2'x2' which is decked floor to ceiling with rocks. These are big fish with big territories, and while they are desirable, one must be sure one can care for them appropriately before acquiring them.

In my experience, Petrochromis are beautiful, but frightfully aggressive. A lot of colonies have "imploded" due to the adults killing each other. To keep Petros successfully, I would suggest a very large aquarium, at least 8'x2'x2' which is decked floor to ceiling with rocks. These are big fish with big territories, and while they are desirable, one must be sure one can care for them appropriately before acquiring them.

That's exactly correct according to what I've read on different US and European forums. Looks like Petros are hard to come by here isn't it ?

Yes, they are hard to come by for that very same reason. They have been imported several times, but many keepers had them in inappropriate tanks and lost them. I do not know of any colonies currently being kept successfully, but if anyone does, it'd be great to hear about!

Agree with the above post, also need to be kept in large numbers, have also been kept successfully with tropheus

Main reason we dont see many keeping petros is that trewavasae is the only allowable import into aust.

Personally I disagree.

I currently have 5 petrochromis fasciolatus in a 4.5ft x 20in x 20in 1 male 4 females and they are happy. There is no decor just gravel on the bottom but they are breeding constantly and no one is getting severely bashed.

Lovely fish, good personality one of my more enjoyed species :)

That's great to hear!! The only species I have experienced is P. trewavasae - which ost people would say the direct opposite about! lol

Perhaps fasciolatus is a much more agreeable species in captivity.

Keep those awesome fish going well!

Andrew.

The previous owner of this colony was also of the opinion they were greatly aggressive but did say as long as there was only 1 male and plenty of females it tended to work for him. Basically I've followed that advice from the start and that could be part of the reason why they are ok in a group of 5. I did purchase them as a larger colony but i sold off half the colony and kept just a male and 4 females.

You might be right that trewavasae could be more aggressive but it could come down to conditions as well that people have previously kept them in. I don't think people have been as exposed to Petros as they have Tropheus and it could be why theres still some mysteries with them whereas Tropheus theres some pretty solid guidelines you can use and have a high sucess rate.

Archived