tank repairs

fisshy

Hey guys I decided to strip my tank. The bottom had 3 layers on it due to breakages. I got this tank for free so no complaints.

So I was wanting to know how do you get the silicon off the glass. Using new blades and scraping it off does a good job but what about that really thin fine film that left. So has any body got the answer :thumb

Xylene is a toxic substance with well known dangers. Do not use it for this purpose.

The silicon you mention is simple to remove with steel wool and metho. It will come off like new glass.

Xylene MSDS;

Danger! Harmful Or Fatal If Swallowed. Vapor Harmful. Affects Central Nervous System. Causes

Severe Eye Irritation. Causes Irritation To Skin And Respiratory Tract. Chronic Exposure Can

Cause Adverse Liver, Kidney, And Blood Effects. Flammable Liquid And Vapor.

Inhalation of Vapors May be Irritating To The Nose And Throat. Inhalation Of High

Concentrations May Result In Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Ringing In The Ears, And Severe

Breathing Difficulties Which May Be Delayed In Onset. Substernal Pain, Cough, And

Hoarseness Are Also Reported. High Vapor Concentrations Are Anesthetic And Central Nervous

System Depressants.

Ingestion Causes Burning Sensation in Mouth and Stomach, Nausea, Vomiting and Salvation.

Minute Amounts Aspirated into the Lungs can Produce a Severe Hemorrhagic Pneumonitis with

Severe Pulmonary Injury or Death.

Skin Contact Results in Loss of Natural Oils and Often Results in Characteristic Dermatitis. May

be Absorbed Through the Skin.

Vapors Cause Eye Irritation. Splashes Cause Severe Irritation, Possible Corneal Burns and Eye

Damage.

Chronic Inhalation Can Cause Headache, Loss of Appetite, Nervousness and Pale Skin.

Repeated or Prolonged Skin Contact may Cause a Skin Rash. Repeated Exposure of the Eyes

to High Concentrations of Vapor may Cause Reversible Eye Damage. Repeated Exposure can

Damage Bone Marrow, Causing Low Blood Cell Count. May Damage Liver and Kidneys.

Environmental Hazards : Toxic to aquatic organisms

Yeah you are right Craig, I use it ALOT for work, but have also used it once for removing silicon from a tank. I cleaned it out well and left it outside for a day, as it evaporates extremely quickly.

I get beat over the head with occupational health and safety were I work mathodes, so I hope you don't cut corners and are using your safety gear. Use a safer product if you can, at the very least look up the MSDS and make sure you are still happy or prepared to use it.

I get beat over the head with occupational health and safety were I work mathodes, so I hope you don't cut corners and are using your safety gear. Use a safer product if you can, at the very least look up the MSDS and make sure you are still happy or prepared to use it.

I appreciate your concern Craig, and yes I take all the precautions. But when you work with structural epoxy resins and the only thing you can thin it/clean up with is xylene or toluene I don't have much of a choice. And paperwork is part of my job so I'm well up to date with all products MSDS's. I realize now my advise was probably misguided as you should know what your doing when using such chemicals, but as said I have cleaned silicon from tanks with it before with no detrimental results. To be fair most chemicals are harmful to aquatic life, they put this in MSDS to (hopefully) prevent people from dumping it down the drain. Sorry guys, probably shouldn't use xylene unless you know how to protect yourself and clean up completely afterwards.

Cheers

I appreciate your concern Craig, and yes I take all the precautions. But when you work with structural epoxy resins and the only thing you can thin it/clean up with is xylene or toluene I don't have much of a choice. And paperwork is part of my job so I'm well up to date with all products MSDS's. I realize now my advise was probably misguided as you should know what your doing when using such chemicals, but as said I have cleaned silicon from tanks with it before with no detrimental results. To be fair most chemicals are harmful to aquatic life, they put this in MSDS to (hopefully) prevent people from dumping it down the drain. Sorry guys, probably shouldn't use xylene unless you know how to protect yourself and clean up completely afterwards.

Cheers

You sound fully switched on and safely use a chemical which you have no choice to use at work, and I respect your possition and suport your comments. :yes::thumb

Once silicon is cured it is very stable, and as such metho won't work very well at all. Although as has been said the use of a new blade and metho is your best bet without resorting to chemicals such as the one mentioned above.

Why not just purchase a new tank if the tank has needed three repair jobs?

Once silicon is cured it is very stable, and as such metho won't work very well at all. Although as has been said the use of a new blade and metho is your best bet without resorting to chemicals such as the one mentioned above.

Why not just purchase a new tank if the tank has needed three repair jobs?

I can guarantee that metho with steel wool will work. It will take all the silicon off, and leave the glass ready for resiliconing.

The tanks are in fairly good condition for breeding tanks but they just have patch work on the bottoms. I got 3x 6ft x500x500 tanks for free. Two tanks don't leak. I attempted to fix the other but it just kept leaking. I thought I got every where but no I didn't so I stripped it.

Thanks for the info guys

Archived