Whose the best ($) Electricity Supplier?

CThompson

For these darn electricity junkies, whose the best electricity supplier to be with.

My current contract with Energy Australia is coming up for renewal, and I expect another fellow fish nut has an up to date knowledge on whose the cheapest to be with they won't mind passing on.

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig,

Looks like I may finally be-able to offer you some good advice (hopefully) :)

As electricity bills were rising in the household this same question got brought

up. What we ended up doing was comparing our current deal with energy

australia with the costs with other major electricity companies such as agl.

The result was that agl was willing to give us a 5% discount off our bill should we transfer our contract to be with them instead of energy australia

(The deal was for a set period of time... will have to check details for you)

Cheers,

John

Hi Craig,

Looks like I may finally be-able to offer you some good advice (hopefully) :)

As electricity bills were rising in the household this same question got brought

up. What we ended up doing was comparing our current deal with energy

australia with the costs with other major electricity companies such as agl.

The result was that agl was willing to give us a 5% discount off our bill should we transfer our contract to be with them instead of energy australia

(The deal was for a set period of time... will have to check details for you)

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the input John, always a pleasure.

Craig

I agree with John. I actually changed contracts over from Energy Aus. to AGL, got the 5 percent discount on my quarterly bill and so far so good....fingers crossed.

They both charge the same rate that the government sets, but 5 percent off the bill is better than nothing.

But if you did have some money available to invest, a 1.5 to 2 kilowatt grid connect solar system would be the way to go.

:no: We just changed from E Aus to AGL 7% discount, have heard of some getting 7.50%.

but its the rates you need to watch.

The new way they charge for each rate is confusing.Then a service charge as well now.

From the way the rates went up last bill should have gone upward?? & more to come.

If I were you Craig I would ring AGL and see what you can get discount then ring E Aus and tell them they need to match it.

I did this and they would not as I had 5% with E Aus so i took the 7%.

have you looked into solar panels criag

john

I'd LOVE to do a "Laurie", but the cost side of things does not correspond with the actual ability of paying for it.

I am in the process of getting quotes for solar power at the moment, cost will vary for areas but the details are below -

4KW System - 22 panels - Produces 20KWH per day

CREDITS

$13.20 per day

$1204.50 per quarter for seven years (while the current solar plan/deal is in place - but once you get on the list you locked in regardless of policy change)

$4818 per year

COSTS

Retail $20616

REC Rebate $7733 (this will vary as REC prices fluctuate)

Total out of pocket $ - $12883.

So yeah an initial investment of nearly $13k will net you $34k over seven years. if you have a spare $13k floating around I think its quite a good investment.

There is talk (unsure if this was the 'hardsell' by the solar guy) but the current system (which is pretty good) will change soon to a flat rebaste from the govt which will be nice....maybe $8k off your system but no energy buyback off the energy company....wait and see I guess.

My natural gas is with Energy Australia...contracted with a 5% discount.

My electricty is with AGL...contract also with a 5% discount.

Deals are available all the time...give them both a call to find out what's available.

have you looked into solar panels criag

john

I'd LOVE to do a "Laurie", but the cost side of things does not correspond with the actual ability of paying for it.

I am in the process of getting quotes for solar power at the moment, cost will vary for areas but the details are below -

4KW System - 22 panels - Produces 20KWH per day

CREDITS

$13.20 per day

$1204.50 per quarter for seven years (while the current solar plan/deal is in place - but once you get on the list you locked in regardless of policy change)

$4818 per year

COSTS

Retail $20616

REC Rebate $7733 (this will vary as REC prices fluctuate)

Total out of pocket $ - $12883.

So yeah an initial investment of nearly $13k will net you $34k over seven years. if you have a spare $13k floating around I think its quite a good investment.

There is talk (unsure if this was the 'hardsell' by the solar guy) but the current system (which is pretty good) will change soon to a flat rebaste from the govt which will be nice....maybe $8k off your system but no energy buyback off the energy company....wait and see I guess.

I'd really check the power production per day as in; is that the theoretical best or calculated from a similar system that's actually being used in 'normal conditions'?

ie. Is the 20 KWh production in all day sunny conditions, partially cloudy conditions, overcast conditions etc. or is it the average production per day over a year?

I'd really check the power production per day as in; is that the theoretical best or calculated from a similar system that's actually being used in 'normal conditions'?

ie. Is the 20 KWh production in all day sunny conditions, partially cloudy conditions, overcast conditions etc. or is it the average production per day over a year?

I asked the gent who did the quote that and he stated it was based on previous averages they had gained from their systems that were already in the field. So....the 20KWH is based on 'average' sunny to cloudy days rather then 365 days of sunny days.

And of course the amount of credits will vary per day/quarter based on season etc.

G'day

Try this site

http://www.goswitch.com.au

They are supposed to do (all?) the legwork for you.

I am also seriously considering solar power, but let me tell you it is not that simple to get organised unless you want to get ripped off. Any help happily accepted :lol4: (Mods - Happy to start another topic if you feel it's appropriate)

Cya

Matthew

Archived