Wrigglers

likes americans

Well after my last post about angelfish eggs and their demise i held off on my next breeding attempt until i could report some success- Braziliensis.

Not as exciting as the angels as i have bred brazilies before last century but quite interesting as they are in my offfice at work and my workmates have only seen goldfish before ( stimulating?? not) so they have been intrigued by spawning behaviour, especially the violence over other tankmates, and the colour change in the eyes of brazils when they are ready.

The female was fanning last thursday and has now spat gravel over the nesting site and the wrigglers are surviving well with both mum and dad returning them to the nursery when they stray....cool!

The tank has numerous pits in the gravel the pair have dug ready for the next stage of the proceedings

Hi ya Tone

GR8 fish

What species are the tank mates?

Also what size are the parents?

there were half a dozen rainbows, 4 corys, 2 silver dollars and 10 mollies in a tall 4 footer

Now i only have the pair in there

they are a youngish pair male around 13cm female a less chunky 11 cm

Hi ya Tone

GR8 fish

there were half a dozen rainbows, 4 corys, 2 silver dollars and 10 mollies in a tall 4 footer

From wrigglers i now have a two separate clouds of fry, mouths already facing downward and stripes in their tails. I estimate them at 400+

Mum and Dad are great parents. When Dad bristles up they all gather under him and mum fusses over any renegades from the two main fry schools by picking them up in groups and spitting them back into the pack.

Today i moved the gravel back over one side of the undergravel and ran an airline as heavy feeds were clouding the water a little with only sponges and corner filters and there are so many fry that a powerfilter would only make pearl cichlid mini fishcakes!

They are feeding well on powdered flake and powdered sinking pellets five times a day and lettuce on the bottom at all times. When i feed the parents they munch the food up and spit it among the babies too. Cheers

Hi ya Tone

GR8 fish

From wrigglers i now have a two separate clouds of fry, mouths already facing downward and stripes in their tails. I estimate them at 400+

Mum and Dad are great parents. When Dad bristles up they all gather under him and mum fusses over any renegades from the two main fry schools by picking them up in groups and spitting them back into the pack.

Today i moved the gravel back over one side of the undergravel and ran an airline as heavy feeds were clouding the water a little with only sponges and corner filters and there are so many fry that a powerfilter would only make pearl cichlid mini fishcakes!

They are feeding well on powdered flake and powdered sinking pellets five times a day and lettuce on the bottom at all times. When i feed the parents they munch the food up and spit it among the babies too. Cheers

well this is interesting....i now have two types of fry (at least) in the tank...there are geo brazilies and there are some type of surface or mid water fish fry in the tank..like little eels...different body shape...got to be from eggs scattered in the tank by the previous tankmates and i am thinking they must be australian rainbows or possibly black spotted yellow barbs or the longest thinnest silver dollars ever

time will tell if i can raise some of them and see what they are..

cheers for reading

you mentioned Rainbows, I'm guessing Aust Rainbows

so I think they may have bred and laid eggs in the plants

usually hard to raise without infusoria but if you have been

feeding the Brasil's heavy there would be infusoria produced

Chris

Yeah Link...the tank was starting to look a little cloudy before i reconnected half the undergravel and today i noticed these different little fry feeding at the top on lettuce . i made this juice from tank water and ground up floaters that makes a great food that slowly sinks to the bottom and they were eating that i didn't see them yesterday so perhaps they hatched during the night.The brazilies bellies are full all day and the other fry had little tummies too, i imagine the first couple of days will sort out whether they survive or not. there seems to be 20+

there must be some delay on the hatching of the eggs or there were two separate clutches of scatterers because there seem to be a few larger sized fry amongst the top dwellers...i don't know rainbows and can't remember what they are but there were four of one type and a definite pair of another...bozmani comes to mind for some reason,,,maybe i have some of each. i haven't bred them before mate..have u?

if i can get my camera to focus on the little buggers i will take some pics tomorrow. the mystery fry are worth a look and the brasiliensis parents look pretty cool too, i will see if i can do a better job than one of Dr Hebert's 'natural' shots between two sheets of glass

there are no plants in the tank so the eggs must have been on this little reef i have in there with these kitch fake anemonies or in the gravel

cheers

LOL @ like americans :lol2:

Bosemani are half blue front half yellow rear

the hardest growth period for rainbows is when they have used

the yolk sac so they are past that .... I hope they make it for you

Chris

yeah the pair are bosemani then. after a water change they chase each other around the tank bridging up showing great colour. the four others are twice as big as the bosemani ones, less colourful unless in sunlight when they are amazing and they dance around with their top fins extended like mollies. they have probably spawned in my community tank before then but with topfeeders as tank mates to eat these tiny fry and bristlenose to take care of any eggs they find i was lucky to have them in with just the brasilies that mainly feed on the bottom

Archived