Americans and Africaan's

Teamsherman

Hi, i know your not supposed to keep africans in americans water, but can you keep americans in african water? i have a female red devil (the free to good home one that no-one wants to take ) that is taking nicely to my new african setup tank. I am going to be putting adult e.yellows and blues and a few other "community" style africans in there too, should i remove the devil asap or can i let her go to see if she will be nice. She is in with some kirkii' and fire blues now, and doesnt seem to do them any harm. What do you great people of cichlid world think?

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

P.s, she is still for free to take if you want her.

I know its a little different but i have morsal size lelupi and gombe in with my green terror pair and no probs thus far *checks tank to count fish*.

I think the key when mixing fish is plenty of cover. You could try removing her introducing the other fish then putting her back in, but change the decor a little.

Hope i helped? If not i tried! laugh.giflaugh.gif

MT

Red Devils (Central Americans) come from water which is fairly similar to Rift Lake conditions (pH 8 etc) so this is not the problem.

The problem is generally considered to be body language, when testing for dominance etc. ie. Some submissive poses by one could be misinterpreted as a challenge by the other.

Alot of people around the place use mbuna as dither/target fish for large aggressive CA's, since they cant get another large CA to go in the tank. The mbuna are active, colourful, and give something for the larger fish to chase. Most people who try this report it is very rare that any of the mbuna go MIA, provided there are some hidey holes for them.

You could have trouble with your green terrors if you keep them in a pH of above 8.0. It is more likely for them to then get hole in the head disease.

That is the down side to our water supply. But it isnt a long term thing i did forget to mention that. However if they start to develop symptoms then i have got the antibiotics to treat it. Just waiting for my next neverfall spring water delivery.

MT cool.gif

Archived