A. calvus wild caught colony

mulva

Any idea the location of them just curious. Also i wonder why you dont put them in the right environment. This is not criticism just an observation. I have a problem with the substrate and the shells you are useing.

nigel, sand and crushed coral isnt ideal?

rather than just say what you said......point out the ideal setup.

also, the shells you see in the tank came with the fish. kinda hard to pull these guys out of the shells.

when I posted my wild male, and F1 female white calvus breeding in this same tank (they have now been moved) nobody said it was a bad setup then.

ill ask my buddy who I got them from more details on location when he gets online.

I try with the wild caught i bring in to keep it as close to the lake as i can. I use a yellowish fine sand and make the water chemistry close to what the lake is. I use Seachem rift lake salt and tang buffer to do that. As you live in the US i would get lake tang or malawi snail shells as thay are the best. I hope this helps. Like i said it was just an observation not criticison.

Nigel

thanks, see that was so much nicer then "your doing it wrong"

well, as for the sand.....im keeping it what it is. Ive never heard anyone say "i dont think your fish like the colour of the sand"

As for the shells, they arent staying in. Ive alread taken 2 of them out. Im trying to remove that large piece, but everytime I try, 2 of 3 of them swim inside.

Like I said, he couldnt get them out.....so had to give the shells to me.

"Also i wonder why you dont put them in the right environment. This is not criticism just an observation. I have a problem with the substrate and the shells you are useing."

sounds like you are saying Im doing it wrong.

Anywho, its hard to tell peoples tone on the internet. :lol:

I could see if I was using pink or rainbow coloured gravel, but seriously....Ive never heard anyone have a "problem" with someones sand colour.

:blink:

The colour of the sand i found important for wild caught it is something i got from the Germans when i first started to bring wild caught. As for the rest i guess it is up to you what you do. I was just trying to help. :^:

Hi Richard,

Those shells are barnacles and look real. St G have some atm, I use them to breed my calvus. Also they lose there colour over time and go white, if the water is also buffered they tend to disintegrate.

Grant

Hi Richard

It's a barnacle cluster and the large size ones are used by a lot of Alto breeders out here as the females look for a spawn site that is big enough to lay in but small enough to secure, they have to feel they can block the spawn site off till the fry are free swimming

Nice pics Mulva

BTW can you reduce the size of your signature to 125 x 100 :)

L2H

Archived