A. calvus wild caught colony

mulva

Hey Mulva

Why not try an idea that someone (was it Arj?) posted for getting ocies out of shells. Put the barnacles up high in the tank (near the top, maybe pointing downwards?) (you could perhaps suspend them, or put them on something that lifts them up high) and at the bottom put the shells you want them to go into. Being high makes the barnacles less attractive and they may go down for the bottom ones in preference. Then you can take out the barnacles.

For the people that asked "location" I atleast have the "type" if that helps.

LIVUA BLACK (CONGO)

Ya I didnt think about that. I have used that trick with my meleagris. Im not sure if that will work though, as these things are so tall, they almost touch the top of the tank when sitting on the bottom.

I think I will be able to get them though. At times I can see a group hidding behind, and some of the others free swimming. I think if I am quick (and lucky) enough I can grab it without any darting in there. Some of the group have started hidding behind rocks on the far other side of the tank. I should give you guys a full tank shot, because looking back at the pics, it does make the tank look a bit funny with those really large shells and that barnicle thing, but thats just one corner of the tank. Another trick I did was, I once had this really ugly large shell in one of my tanks, and one of my A. comps would constantly live in it. I pulled the whole thing out, and put it in a bucket of water with an air stone. I then put the bucket in my bathroom, and turned out the lights. After about 15 mins, I went in there with the lights still off, and removed the shell. Luckily for me, when I turned on the lights, the comp was still in the bucket. :(

For you guys that are talking about buying the shell thing. If you dont mind ever being able to get your calvus or comps out of them, then go for it. They probably do make good breeding holes for the females, but they arent managable if you need to get a fish out of the tank (or fry I would think).

ya, whats strange is.....when I went to get the fish they all looked very black. When we started chasing them around to catch them, I noticed the yellow one.

I first thought he might just be stressed and showing a "lightish" colour. A few days in my tank, and he is still yellowish.

Ive since moved him out of the colony, and he lives in my show tank now.

Archived