Dividing Tanks

cprize

Hey all, was wondering what the best way to divide a tank permanently?

Im wanting to get a 4ft and split it in half, and housing a pair of bristlenose in each side.

I only want to use one heater, and one filter as well, how would i go about this?

never done it before, so bear with me lol.

Thanks.

The reason why i was dividing, is because i got told, having 2 males and say 3 or 4 females in a 4ft will cause the males to fight instead of breed?

Dont know if thats true though.

Think theres a reason to divide?

Also if i do, do i get the glass siliconed in by the glazier? and get them to cut say tennis ball sized circle in the middle of the divider and cover that with diamond mesh?

Thanks! want to make it neat as possible.

The biggest problem with hard dividers (like glass) is the single heater/filter.

If you used something like egg crate, you could ensure there was flow between the sides with thoughtful positioning of filtration.

I personally bred all my bristlenose in groups. And I bred plenty. My tanks had 4x2 floorspace so slightly bigger, but I had 3-4 males and up to 10 females at any given time in those tanks.

The numbers of fry I took out suggested they were not busy fighting.

I would first try to get them going in an undivided tank. Get a few bristly caves in there, and try to get a good bit of wood so they can take refuge and stay out of sight of other territories.

Don't bother dividing the tank up you are better off having 2 males as it spurs the other one on. Mine colonies are in 2x18's and are breeding like rabbits.

Duck is spot on.

say no more

So your colonies are in 2fts?

Im planning on having 2 males 4females, will i need a 4ft for those? Or get a 2ft and house them in trios?

Only reason i want to get 4ft divided is because it may be cheaper then running 2 x 2fters?

Also Ducksta, if i get some driftwood with plants and also caves will that help territories? Id like to make it look nice at the same time, but also heard its not easy if i leave the fry in there, and will make it ten times harder to catch them lol.

you can make a divider from flyscreen. Just like making one for a window but make it to fit your tank and hold it in place with suctions caps. Then its easy to remove if you change your mind.

Cprize

one thing you haven't mentioned is if the tank will be in a fishroom or

just a single tank in the house as this dictates the heater point raised

and end design for display

Sorroz uses perspex that has slots cut with a dremel for water flow and

an end drop filter with the return pipe running to the opposite end of the

tank for fry raising ....... this has been very efficient

Chris

Archived