Electric blue with eggs

two tanks

Hi there,

I have a 5 foot community cichlid tank. Now my worry is my electric blue has had a mouth full of eggs for about 7 to 8 days.

Do I leave her be in the big tank or should I move her to a smaller tank on her own? I was told if they get stressed out they can spit the eggs out which I don't want to happen. :shock:

These are my first fish I have owned so don't want to stuff things up. :confused:

Cheers :thumbup:

Don't know how many other fish you have in your tank but if you want a

significant percentage of your fry to survive than you are better off taking

her out and either stripping the fry (only if you know they are with heads

and tails (unless you have an egg tumbler) or you can let her spit herself

by isolating her in her own tank. If you take her out though (not sure

about electric blues) she may spit so make sure the fry are fairly

developed just in-case she does.

PS don't keep the fry in the main tank either unless you have some kind of

plastic fry saver... the cotton/thread ones will have the adults sucking out

and killing your fry if you use them.

Goodluck! first time is always fun...

John

I move my females when they started to look stressed. Moving them made them spit but that was normally about 20 days into holding plus they spat into the net which was fine. I think the main risk of not moving is harrassment from the male. Only you will be able to tell if that is happening.

Hi there,

I have a 5 foot community cichlid tank. Now my worry is my electric blue has had a mouth full of eggs for about 7 to 8 days.

Do I leave her be in the big tank or should I move her to a smaller tank on her own? I was told if they get stressed out they can spit the eggs out which I don't want to happen. :shock:

These are my first fish I have owned so don't want to stuff things up. :confused:

Cheers :thumbup:

I have 27 other cichlids in there but the male e/b seems to keep to himself for now.

How do I know when the eggs have hatched?

How long does it take?

What do I feed the little fella's?

If I was to strip the mum and they are not ready will she pick them back up again?

Cheers

ps. thank you for your reply's

I took out mothers after 20 days as advised by posters here and by the LFS. Mothers then spat on removal. I understand the eggs hatch after about 7 days.

I fed my fry frozen baby brine shrimp, crushed HBH vege flakes, artemia cysts and NLS grow crushed with a hammer.

My gut feeling is to take the mum out at about 20 days and isolate. If she is overly stressed and hungry I would strip. Feed her for a few days and then put back in the tank. I found the females were very happy when returned.

I do not know if EBs eat their fry.

I have 27 other cichlids in there but the male e/b seems to keep to himself for now.

How do I know when the eggs have hatched?

How long does it take?

What do I feed the little fella's?

If I was to strip the mum and they are not ready will she pick them back up again?

Cheers

ps. thank you for your reply's

With 27 other fish the fry will be eaten in no time.

Remove her to a frysaver or floating tank to spit the fry out herself after 10/15 days.Try after lights out and she is half asleep is best, they dont tend to spit the fry out as well.

Put in a pvc pipe or plastic plant to keep her from stressing.She will spit the fry out when ready, feed her & fry crushed flake.If she spits the eggs or young fry out she will take them back in her mouth in a floating tank. You only need an airstone & daily water change. I suck out rubbish with a hose and top up from tank. add new water to tank.

Smaller tank by herself is fine also but use water from main tank.

Good luck.

Hi there,

My fish in the tank are as follows.(they where all purchased as fry 3/4 cm)

Eureka red

red empress

fuelborni

electric blue

acei

hongi

electric yellow

Cheers. Darryl

and yes I'm sure I saw them doing the fish dance.

Archived