Plants to go with africans

BOG6ON

G'day all, I am looking for some plants to put in my african tank that will last and not gat destroyed. I have at the moment some swords and two other tall large leaf plants(name unknown) that were recomended by my lfs, but they only lasted about 2 weeks.

Also is there any special way i can anker them to make it harder for the fish to rip out and rip apart. I currently have large larva rock piecesthat i have drilled and put the plants in and ankered them there with the pieces of small lead they come with, but as the plants i got dont have a root system the fish just have a party and tear them apart.

If there is anyone you can recomend on the forum to get the plants of that you recomend please let me know as well.

Thanks in advance.

Luke.

Anubias Barteri and java Fern. Both are best attached to a piece of wood or stone. You can try Vall which will do well in the conditions but the fish find it fun to dig the stuff up.

Java fern, anubia, amazon swords I have read all contain a toxin/deterrent that fish, including mbuna find particularly nasty to taste. I have kept amazon swords and anubia successful with alot of african cichlid species, including mbuna.

I might try the Amazon Swords as my Wifes is getting munched by her BNs which have suddenly gained a taste for them.

Java fern, anubia, amazon swords I have read all contain a toxin/deterrent that fish, including mbuna find particularly nasty to taste. I have kept amazon swords and anubia successful with alot of african cichlid species, including mbuna.

Ive found Java fern unpalatable to most cichlids(doesn't stop them destroying them for the hell of it)But Ive noticed my Limnochromis auritus have left stems only :dntknw:

Java moss is good,Ive had it with Jaguar cichlids,Tangs and Mbuna; doesnt like it when it gets very alkaline

Plastic are probably the safest as many others have said

there was a tank that had all africans in it and all real plants i really dont know how he did it without it being destroyed and floating in the air i cant find the website i got it from, but luckily i downloaded here it is

IPB Image

amazing tank dont know he managed it try google it so you can find the website i tried but no luck forgot the website i got it from . But really fake plastic/silk plants the way to go. there are some nice real natural looking ones. from the pix looks like there some e-yellows mpanga etc

Lots of plants not many fish ='s the plants living in that tank. Very nice I must say.

Java fern the toughest, next to fake plants

Yes true if there was like 30 cichlids in there the plants would be gone

Hi

This is my first post and not knowing where to start or which place to introducing myself this is hello from me to everyone,..just joined a few days ago,..;-now replying to the plant for the cichlid or any fish for that matter;-I thought lead was toxic to fish?

I am just learning so I have to ask questions to the more advanced fish keepers,.Anne :raisehand:

Archived