Moorebank aquarium

Citypainter

I went into the Aquarium at Moorebank today.

Marine life aquarium.

Not a bad set up.

Friendly staff and raesonable tanks, (Well most).

On one tank there was a label that said Quote " Assorted texas cross cichlids"

I had to stop and read again.

Ok great its good that we were warned but how will these fish end up in the hobby?

I know that Norm Halliwell would never do that.

Do you guys think that this is acceptable?

Marine life aquarium.

Not a bad set up.

Ok great its good that we were warned but how will these fish end up in the hobby?

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it Total Marines Aquariums?

Marine life aquarium.

Not a bad set up.

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it Total Marines Aquariums?

Yeah its called Total marine aquariums, And nothing wrong with them selling it, there choice to sell what they want and some people like it, If there was no label then different but they had a label

i lot of aquariums i have gone to have 1 tank or so... as a "variety" tank.

labels i have seen are "mixed cichlids" or "random fish on special" or something similar. most are unknown species or mixed blood.

hybrids/mixed fish will always have controversy..

one thing i really dont like is mislabelled fish.

i guess going to a casual buyer is not to bad, good chance they will not breed them with anything so the bloodline should stop with them

its either that or the frezer i guess

picked up a flowerhorn not to long ago, see what the fuss is about, put it in my american tank which has my black belt, jag, texas and red devil, and straight away they all stated fighting and digging pits all keen to breed with the little hussy, i guess being a hybird they must have thought they all had a chance.

as for the flowerhorn, pretty average looking fish compare to some of my other americans, i figure natures classics will genrally look better then most hybird and crosses

Mixed zebra, mixed peacock, any crosses....bad news IMO! It puts me off buying from these stores. I think it's wrong despite wether people like it or not. We should do all we can to keep pure blood lines and put a pause on any market associated with hybrids/crosses. Why? because it will only benifit the hobby in the future (for casual and breeder alike), hybrids will and have made our hobby worse. The fish are better pure in more ways than one!!!

Agree with Ant, this sort of thing puts me off buying from these shops. Can do without crosses, hybirds etc

Dont know how you can say the casual buyer willnot breed them with anything petshopdude :shock: ???

Are you one of these pet shop workers that sell peacocks & E/Blues for the same tank !!!!!

You really hit it on the head,,,

picked up a flowerhorn not to long ago, see what the fuss is about, put it in my american tank which has my black belt, jag, texas and red devil, and straight away they all stated fighting and digging pits all keen to breed with the little hussy, i guess being a hybird they must have thought they all had a chance.

I'm the same when I used to go out on the town<<<< lol :lol3: ,,,,,,,,Wife changed that, :cryblow: ,,,,,,,,but not with my fish.

Just look at some questions asked on how to save fry on here. They could be fry form what crossed fish in a tank like that when the new fish owner is unaware what the fish maybe?? Peacock cross Electric blue,,,,,, Ps cross Ps etc?.

don't get me worng i do believe that speices should be kept pure to the bloodline, and as for the flowerhorn, they are a fish which i would class as a hybird which has alot of commerical value, and bottom line after keeping one i would not keep them again.

i do also believe that maybe ppl located in major areas a spoiled for choice when it comes to LFS, however my area has 3 lfs, with one selling a mix of hybirds, one selling fish feed on the little white birdy food and one with a limited afican selection, i do believe not shopping at the shop is not a option, however looking for the quality of fish comes down to my personal choice.

on another note i do wonder how you would get rid of the fish that you don't class as pure to the speices, i'am not 100% sure on what the stance that the RSPCA have on disposal of hybird fish?

Unfortunately hybrids still need to be treated the same as pure. They are still vertebrates therefor need to be treated as one. Even as feeder fish. No vertebrate is ever supposed to be used as live feed.

Not 100% sure on my accuracy but this is my understanding.

Although I don't like hybrids, please remember that it's not the poor fish's fault some wally allowed it to be bred. If you can accomodate without it crossbreading, give it a decent life. If not, kill it as painlessly as you are able.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate hybrids.

i accidentally bred a cuban with a blue eye cichlid...the tortoises got them all then the breeders were separated forever

i hate flowerhorns, they are an abomination in my opinion. I hate cross texas.

i saw balloon rams too...why breed that trait into the fish??

keep it real

keep it pure

ahhh the hybrid debate....

I went on a bit of a LFS crawl today and had 2 somewhat different experiences re cross breeds

in one store I saw a nice aulonocara and asked what sort it was as there was no label, it looked like a llwanda. the answer was its a peacock, i know the guy fairly well so pointed out that much was obvious what sort was it. he didnt know or care, people buy them cos they have nice colours and hes happy selling cross and selectiveley bred peacocks rather than pure strains.

another store. cross breds on sale. but very clearly labled with " cross breed for display only, do not breed" .

I try to breed fish, they are in species specific tanks or in with others which there is little likeleyhood they will cross, and if they do it will be easy to pick hybrids. eg electric yellow with sulphur crests. any fry suspect of being crossed would go in with the frontosa ( hasnt happened yet)

i dont have a huge issue with crosses in display tanks but if you intend to breed and sell fry then you must do the right thing and only breed pure strains. i think the emphasis should be on the breeders and sellers of fry to do the right thing not the LFS although they should label the fish properly.

just my 2 cents

I was a t fish store a year or so ago and the shop had a cross between an E yellow and a cobalt blue.

Let me say that was one good looking fish. I had picked up just the right colouration from its parents. Blue body, yellow fins and black outline. Sadly the guy was feeding it to his Toga. (it was the last remaining one as he had already done the same with the others)

I would personally see no harm in selling it or giving it to a customer that has no intention of breeding it and let the fish (who is not responsible for its parentage) live.

I have an issue with hybrids in display tanks because that means there is a market for them.

point taken, and i am in no way saying we should encourage them but what are we to do with accidental crosses? i guess the LFS should refuse point blank to accept them or sell them

my oppinon on this is that all stores should not purchase crossed fish but if they do it should be from a known breeder(in the case of sought after crosses) as for tanks of ?????????? crosses big no no

i have been under the impression from this site that yellows dont cross or no cases of any crosses known

what changed?

Archived