what on earth happened?

dotti90

ok well i have a 150 litre tank with salousi and pelvic longfin zebras and when they have bred (not with eachother) 1 or 2 fry usually survive in the main tank so i bought a second tank and waited till my longfin got pregnant and put her in the second tank till she spat all the babies the babies are doing well but they dont look anything like the couple fry that survived in my main tank these guys are sooo light in colouration and the fry that survived in my main tank are dark dark brown like the female. what on earth has happened??

IPB Image

Its nearly a bare bottomed tank so their camoflage will be in a colour to suit. i.e They will be lighter or darker depending on the substrate.

Pilly is spot on , They need hiding spots. put a pvc pipe under one end of rock and add something down the other end. But how do you know they didnt cross bred as they are both Ps.

No they havn't crossbred.

You have them in a barebottom tank where the light reflects off the bottom sheet of glass spooking the fish, they have no hiding places which also will spook the fish. Put some more hiding places in the tank and they will darken up.

EDIT: IF they had of crossbred you would expect some to show a more distinct yellow colouration or at the very least shown some broken barring (Which is common in crossbed fish)

No they havn't crossbred.

You have them in a barebottom tank where the light reflects off the bottom sheet of glass spooking the fish, they have no hiding places which also will spook the fish. Put some more hiding places in the tank and they will darken up.

EDIT: IF they had of crossbred you would expect some to show a more distinct yellow colouration or at the very least shown some broken barring (Which is common in crossbed fish)

That's a pretty bold statement. Broken barring is common in crossbred fish? Based on what?

I'm not saying they are or aren't crossed. I doubt many people would want to make that call. I agree with dobbin - very hard to be sure. Especially given they are so closely related (same Genus.)

As the duck said, it is probably hard to tell if they would be crosses but they might given a chance these fish might cross especially in a small tank. Bent bars are not necessarily a sign they are are crossed fish, they may just have bent bars in their lineage. Not every fish in nature is a perfect example or clone of one another. I have seen plenty of examples of Saulosi males for example that, while their bars are not bent, they don't line up from the top and are shorter across the body. I don't believe that the fish had been crossed somewhere along the line, but just has these undesirable traits in its linage.

In saying that Saulosi fry are yellow from the outset, so I suspect you are more likely to see that as trait or odd body shape .

Anyhoo, Although I cannot see the picture at work, I suspect that it is the lack of cover and a bare bottomed tank. I don't have substrate in fry tanks but have a few small rocks and pvc pipes. Another option is to paint the bottom of the tank (obviously the outside) and this might make them stress less.

cheers

rosco

Its nearly a bare bottomed tank so their camoflage will be in a colour to suit. i.e They will be lighter or darker depending on the substrate.

I agree with Pilly too.

Fish naturally change the density of their colour depending on the substrate. you probably could see a stronger coloration if you had a darker substrate the colour would become more intense

Do as said and change your tank.

Then the fish will show there colour 's and you will know for sure.

I'm not saying that they are crosses but surely you want to know?? Both Ps so take advice given and hopefully you have some more L F Pelvic's like your pic

If you look at your photo,, the fry are all around the rock even as you are at that end taking the photo.Give them the changes in landscape in the tank for their well being.

Archived