Power Black Out

GundamCichlid

Hi Guys,

just want to share my nightmare last nite.

I am having a power blackout in my area and luckily all the fish survive and fine :hug: . it was happened for about 2 hours.

I am learning now that i need a back up power.

Thinking about a generator atm.

if anyone has a better option or source for your tank or set up please share.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am having a power blackout in my area and luckily all the fish survive and fine :hug: . it was happened for about 2 hours.

Thanks

Well I see a few options -

1. Aeration - (sponge filters preferably)

* Small battery (AAA, D etc) powered airpumps are available for those with small setups,

* 12V air pumps for those of us with numerous tanks or big systems you can get http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...65&catID=49 that you can hook up to a 12V battery (or your car).

2. Heating...hmm well fish can go for some time at colder temps...not freezing temps.....

* I think a diesel or pertrol generator is one option.

* Gas heater (LPG or natural gas) that can be used without power, I know some have a manual option (i.e. can be lit without power) I purchased a Everdure Brigadier last week that has this option for my home heating needs it cost $795 at the Good Guys.

HTH

We had a 48 hour blackout. I was away on business. The Mrs did a great job and insulated the tanks with foil, towels and duvets. Temps dropped from 25 to 21 when the room temp dropped to 12. We added prime to counter ammonia and did not feed.

I looked at computer UPS units but they are designed to hold a PC up for long enough to shut down and anything longer becomes a lot of money.

If we had more tanks I would look at a generator. In the meantime it will have to be battery powered aeration.

I like the idea of a 12v blower and maybe using car batteries but you would need a ventilated space for the batteries I think.

Gas heating also sounds good as well as having a BBQ so you have something to eat as well;)

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Hook up your blower ( I assume you have one as I've seen your fish room. lol) to an inverter which is connected to a large 12 volt battery (pref a heavy duty one that people use with campervans/ solar power) which is connected to a charger. When your power goes out it will automatically switch to battery power and run your sponges/ air powered filters.

Thanks for the advise. I really like the battery option.

Hi Jamie,

Assuming I am running 300 watt air pump. How many hours with 12 volt battery will last?

Thanks

Do a forum search for UPS back-ups that few guys on here Have tried. I know Matthew has one that works quite well.

Thanks for the advise. I really like the battery option.

Hi Jamie,

Assuming I am running 300 watt air pump. How many hours with 12 volt battery will last?

Thanks

300w/12v =

25 amp per hour , so 100 amp hr battery = 4 hrs approx. You would need a decent battery AGM preferably and they arent cheap. You could use a bank of batteries as well.

Thanks for the advise Jamie.

Btw, Josh, have tried the forum search for the UPS back up but not find anything yet.

Does anyone know the link? really appreciate if i could get to the UPS discussion.

Thanks

Archived