Herichthys carpintis / carpinte

sylvan

Hi All,

I don't post very often but sometimes visit to read about cichlids and dream of some that I could keep. I have kept and bred cichlids from Lake Tanganyika and Lake Malawai before and have recently been looking at getting into Americans. I am currently growing out some 'Cichlasoma' octofasciatum or Jack Dempsey cichlids.

I am interested in getting some Texas cichlids and am after clarification about the varieties available in Australia. I know of two species that are referred to as 'Texas' Cichlids; Herichthys cyanoguttatus and Herichthys carpintis / carpinte. From what I have learned the cyanoguttatus is found in Texas and is the original 'Texas' Cichlid. I have heard these are no longer available in Australia. I have also heard there are variants of the carpintis / carpinte. These variants are Escondido, Chariel and Lahillas and refer to collection sites in Mexico. Are all these variants available in Australia and are the names blue texas and green texas applied to any specific variant? Also is it 'carpinte' or 'carpintis'?

I know that these are quite specific questions and I have found some information about these cichlids on international forums but was after more local knowledge on these fish, especially in regards to availability.

Much appreciated,

Nick.

G'day Nick,

By sheer coincidence, we covered this very recently for a member who asked the same question... In short, the answer is:

We used to have both cyanoguttatum and carpinte, however cyanoguttatum has been lost to the Australian hobby. The only "Texas" floating around are all carpinte.

Cheers,

Andrew.

G'day Nick,

By sheer coincidence, we covered this very recently for a member who asked the same question... In short, the answer is:

We used to have both cyanoguttatum and carpinte, however cyanoguttatum has been lost to the Australian hobby. The only "Texas" floating around are all carpinte.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks guys,

So it is 'carpinte' and NOT 'carpintis'?

I recently read that post and that answered some of my questions, namely that cyanoguttatus (The original and proper Texas) is no longer available.

My question regarding variants is not answered though - does anyone know if there are the three variants available in Australia; Escondido, Chariel and Lahillas?

There are pictures on this thread from Monsterfishkeepers.com. Information about variants is further down the page.

Maybe some people who have seen a few adult Texas could have a look and tell me whether they have seen all of these variants. The Escondido looks the best in my opinion.

Thanks again for answering some of my questions but I would love to have the questions about variants answered.

Hi Nick

We have the H. carpinte (I believe that is the correct latin gender) that

was here way before the geographic sub species listing so no one seems

to know where they originated

I read the same thread from MFK and tried to find out some more about

the geo type list from Spencer Jack after his talk but we ran out of time

before the mini auction started to end the NSWCS July meeting

we also have the sp. escondido that have been given the trade name "Super Green"

could be hard to find and from reports very aggressive

your guess is as good as mine as to how long they will stay true to geo type

before being absorbed into the aquarium strain

Chris

Hi Nick

We have the H. carpinte (I believe that is the correct latin gender) that

was here way before the geographic sub species listing so no one seems

to know where they originated

I read the same thread from MFK and tried to find out some more about

the geo type list from Spencer Jack after his talk but we ran out of time

before the mini auction started to end the NSWCS July meeting

we also have the sp. escondido that have been given the trade name "Super Green"

could be hard to find and from reports very aggressive

your guess is as good as mine as to how long they will stay true to geo type

before being absorbed into the aquarium strain

Chris

Awesome Chris, thank you for that. So the fish I see labelled as green texas are just an aquarium strain of H. carpinte. I might see if I can track down some escondido eventually but pick up some aquarium strain juveniles to begin with. Obviously I won't breed the two together. I have seen varying size limits for these guys from information on the internet, from 9" to 12". Do you know how large the carpinte we have in Australia gets to?

Much appreciated,

Nick

Archived