HOW MUCH WATER DO I TAKE OUT

M.H

HI i got my first tank(5x2x2) about two months ago and ive got about 15 africans my question is when i do my water change how much water do i take out and do i take out the water from the sump(3foot) and how often ive only done it once since ive had and took about 1/3 of the water from the tank nothing from the sump any advice would be good

HI i got my first tank(5x2x2) about two months ago and ive got about 15 africans my question is when i do my water change how much water do i take out and do i take out the water from the sump(3foot) and how often ive only done it once since ive had and took about 1/3 of the water from the tank nothing from the sump any advice would be good

I usually take 10% a week, but other people might disagree?

Work out how much water you have in your whole system sump included and then calculate how much 10% is to take out.

When i do my water change I turn the pump off and I take from my sump if the gravel is not to dirty. If the gravel in the tank is dirty then vacuum instead. Just count you buckets or use a texta to mark the 10% line.?

Stu

What is your nitrate level? 25% a week for my tank. Primary reason for water change is to remove nitrates. Secondary reason is to remove other stuff from water eg phosphates that may affect quality.

Tough Question!

With a properly running sump that size and a lightly stocked tank I would say you could get away with once a month, But like cpfc said, it really depends your water conditions

If you monitor them, they will give you a indication of what's going on.

The "standard" answer to this question is 1/3 each week. This will vary dependant on fish numbers, tank size, quality of water etc. Aim for 1/3 and you can't go too wrong. If you want to do more you will need to start factoring in similarities of existing water and replacement water.

Archived