Bitchy Gold Saum

Batty

I thought my female gold saum was just being bitchy towards the male (they are only 6cm long).

Well she had good reason to be well more like 50 good reasons to be, we have babies!

I don't expect too many to survive as this is their first spawning.

I thought Saums were supposed to lay their eggs on a flat surface, these were laid in a cave.

I thought Saums were supposed to lay their eggs on a flat surface, these were laid in a cave.

ether way job well done on your part keep up the good work!

ether way job well done on your part keep up the good work!

Well I didn't really do anything, I have no idea of water conditions except PH and then only a rough idea as I use the cheap test kit there are 2 filters in the tank, an internal and a trickle filter above the tank. Apart from that they were in a tank with a bristlenose and a pink kisser, all removed now , just mum and bubs in there.

• 3 months later...

All the fry got eaten, i returned the Saums to my main Cichlid tank and have since had a brood of Convicts which are growing on nicely now that I have moved them to a bigger tank. I have put the Saums back in to the breeding tank with 3 caves made from slate and a piece of slate laid flat on the bottom of a near bare tank. The male has decided to beat up on the female, what do I do? Shall I take him out for a while and let the female establish her territory, but then she may not accept him back in. Do Ileave them and see if things work out but he may kill her, maybe some dither fish would work. These Saum are only about 3 inches long. She has a dark stripe along her body but I think that's from stress.

Eggs are gone, a bunch of wrigglers in the gravel now, not many made it, under 30 I'd say. Got a 2nd hand 4ft tank to grow them on in for the cost of a slab of beer. It's going in the bedroom with a couple of corner filters and a 150W heater.

Went for a small internal filter with spray bar and a large sponge filter in the end, not a lot of current

• 2 weeks later...

OK 4 footer now has a Hamburg Matten Filter and a large sponge filter, moved the fry as parents are in the lip locking stage again and F is soooo dark

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks benno, they have spawned again this time I have taken both parents out as they ate the last lot before I could get them out. You want a few if they survive?

Cheers heaps for the offer mate but currently dont have a tank went shoppin for one on the weekend but didnt really find anythin i liked that was reasonably priced. When i do find one it will be for discus also. Hope to keep the Gts again one day as they are my fave big cichlid forsure. Have ya got any close up photos of the pair? they look like they are awesaome quality.

Cheers heaps for the offer mate but currently dont have a tank went shoppin for one on the weekend but didnt really find anythin i liked that was reasonably priced. When i do find one it will be for discus also. Hope to keep the Gts again one day as they are my fave big cichlid forsure. Have ya got any close up photos of the pair? they look like they are awesaome quality.

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/stevejbatt/Fish/

Have a look through this lot

I bought them from Aggies, I have no idea where they originated, they were quite small but I thought I'd picked out a pair going by the fins.

I bought them from Aggies, I have no idea where they originated, they were quite small but I thought I'd picked out a pair going by the fins.

yeah gotta love aggies they always got nice fish, took the mrs there for the first time(my first time for ages too) last week and now shes houndin me to buy a tank coz she loves disus lol, works out good for me coz i miss keepin them.

• 2 weeks later...

My Gold Saum fry always die no matter what. I've tried leaving the parents in, removing 1 parent (M) and removing both parents, the fry last about a week then are all gone.

Any ideas?

I would think that if you are losing the fry at about the same time, every time, perhaps the fry are not getting the right foods. What have you been offering the fry until now?

I would recommend microworms, baby brine, and rotifers to start with, then graduate them to daphnia and finely crumbled flake as they grow a bit...

Archived