what to do? , what to do?..

Adam_J

i have a tank with a male and female yellow peacock (cant remember the right name at the moment)...

the male has been very very aggressive to all the fish in the tank , even the female...

today i was offered for free a male Geophagus Tapajos... and i know where i can get a couple of females for a good price..

problem i have is , do i get rid of the peacocks who are getting close to spawning age , or do i go the geo's and wait another 6 months until these fish are ready to spawn?

:dntknw:

someone got any ideas??????? i've never had Geo's before , and always wanted some...

can they get aggressive like the peacocks?

I personally wouldn't keep them together, they both require different water parameters, they aren't exactly aggressive, but they do chase away fish when they get to spawning age, mainly of their own species.

And keep the variety you like more.

Cheers Mark~

I agree. If your heart is set on the Geos, then consider moving the Peacocks on and setting up properly for Geos. However, if you want both, then you'll need another tank...

Of course, this is the nature of the sickness... It starts with one tank and grows and grows unitl it becomes all-consuming... hehehe

thanks for the replies... i'd get into trouble if i got any more tanks.... i only just got another tank for my firemouths...

i guess it will come down to flipping a coin...

here is a picture of the dominate male and the sub dom male (who is not in the same tank anymore , as of 2 weeks ago)

IPB Image

Of course, this is the nature of the sickness... It starts with one tank and grows and grows unitl it becomes all-consuming... hehehe

hahahaha <_< Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in..............

or you could give the tapajo to me :lol4: ,

you should go with what you prefer, i was stuck with that choice to only 3 months ago, deiceded to go with geos,

how much can u get the females for

you should go with what you prefer, i was stuck with that choice to only 3 months ago, deiceded to go with geos,

$18. each.... they are only young.....

how big?

Geo's are very fun to watch, love it how they sift through the sand and when they yawn.

I haven't had a problem yet with my geo's yet, IMO they are very easy to keep, grow and very rewarding,

Everytime friends and families come over they always say wow what type of fish is that, its like a rainbow

how big?

Geo's are very fun to watch, love it how they sift through the sand and when they yawn.

I haven't had a problem yet with my geo's yet, IMO they are very easy to keep, grow and very rewarding,

Everytime friends and families come over they always say wow what type of fish is that, its like a rainbow

about 3cm , maybe a little bigger at a lfs

If sell the peacocks and recover some cash then maybe you might be better off with the eartheaters .Because if you had to, you could move a firemouth in and out of their water easier.

If you know what I mean

Don't forget to make sure you provide the correct name with your peacocks if and when you move them on.

Cheers,

Andrew.

No way should you even think about putting 3cm Geo's with the lg peacock's. I've kept them together before but at the same size but as said the water conditions are different so you need to split the different. But its easy to do as long as the fish are young and grow up together.. Try a WTB on here for the Red Humps. Sure you can do far better from a breeder on here.

Geo Steindachneri AKA Red Humps are alkaline riverine from Columbia

so water conditions will be OK for either

the problem is size difference and an aggressive adult male

Aulonacara looks like orange shoulder

I would move out the aggressive dom and add the sub back to the group

3 cm is still a bit small to try and add and maybe just big enough to sex

in the right light (look for the metallic green colour in the face and gill covers

for the boys)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

gave away all my peacocks today... because i got hold of 10 firemouths , only babies , but i will rare them up and hopefully they may pair off..

that takes my total count of firemouths to 13.

As they are very hard to find breeders around this area.. i figured i would make it my duty to breed firemouths.

Archived