Selley's glass silicon - anyone used it?

Priscacara

G'day, I have bought some 100mm pvc pipe elbows that I want to glue together to make a tower of artificial caves for my frontosa tank. The blurb on the tube says it is aquarium safe , it cures in 72 hours but for aquariums let it cure for a full 7 days. Based on using it to make or repair aquariums you then wash it out thouroughly then draining followed by filling it up again. I've never used this stuff before so dont want to harm my fish, my thoughts are that a wash down and soaking in a bucket of water should do the same thing. Its going into an established tank, it may not look pretty but I'm sure the fish will enjoy it.

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

I have seen silicon used to seal a leak in a tank without draining the water, fish etc still swimming, with no harm done. The repair was messy but successful.

If your tube says it is for aquariums, then it's safe.

Im sure its safe if labelled for aquariums,but do allow it to cure and perhaps soak it in water for a while.The acetic acid (??)produced during curing can be toxic.I killed some Cardinal tetra breeders when I didnt allow my spawning grate to cure for long enough before I used it (the tank was very small and already very acid)

Doug

The structure is going to be a bit like the wilds meet the burbs I think or if I want to be kind call it futuristic :-). It will be too high to disguise with rocks but if it looks ok I'll add one down the other end of the tank too. Hi rise for fish and with Africans the squabbles will fit in well too :-).

G'day

Silicone does not stick very well to PVC (Neither does PVC glue, unless the pipe is very closely joined together, like in a normal slip fitting). If you decide to use silicone make sure that you really rough up the surfaces that you want to join together.

Happy Building

Cya

Matthew

Archived