New Tank

tropifish

Hi all,

I have a spare tank, well...used to house my 5 gold fish, however after each one of them departed me from bloating...and some other illness, i thought I don't have much luck with keeping goldfish so finally got the time to replace new water, added in a heater, box filter, a few rocks, and shells...tank has been up and running for close to 2 weeks now. Tested the water yesterday with PH >7.4 and Ammonia 0 - All good to go with adding fish...The question is....what type of fish should I put in this tank?

I am thinking shellies....but I already have another tank with shell dwellers....any of you can recommend which other type of african cichlid I can keep? Or is there type of cichlids which not too big, not too small so i can house in this 90L tank?

photo of the tank

IPB Image

Thanks guys,

Steve

Thanks Mathobes !!!

I just quickly google Kribs and it's very colourful fish !!! So if i go for it, I can only keep one pair? You think people from this forum would have it for sale?

Probably not into E.Yellow as I have them in a different tank.

They are pretty good parents, so the is a high possibility of deaths during spawning if you keep more than one pair in a tank that size.

But they are great fish, easy to care for, undemanding and easy to breed.

As most other cichlids get a group of about ten and wait for two to pair up then give away/sell the others.

I've read about pairs of kribs taking out much larger and aggresive cichlids when protecting their fry.

They are readily available too.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I just quickly browsed some people selling kribensis, i would buy atleast 6-10 and mix up the ratio of 3m the rest females, bare in mind that kribensis are very vunerable to dying during breeding time, this has happened to be before, theyre beautiful fish to keep and great breeders also,

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-other-...QAdIdZ201103726

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-other-...QAdIdZ206030162

Also if you can get your hands on some nice mainganos try and get some which are 7-8cm+ and if possible, confirmed breeders and you would have a wonderful time breeding mainganos, they would look great in that tank, i would suggest also frontosas but the tank might be a tad too small.

Anyways goodluck with everything hope to hear from you and your decision.

If you do need anything further, please Pm me.

I love kribs.....if you are going to breed them....source quality fish,IMO there is a lot of rubbish about(poor colour,inbreed males with no spots on tail and females with spots)

but I've also seen some very good quality ones too..... ;)

a young male with potential

IPB Image

If you are considering shellies....I highly recommend some neolamprologus similis

They form a fantastic colony and are much prettier than their cousins multifasciatus

Harder to find and much more expensive than kribs.....but I've found them bulletproof and much easier to sell!!!!

IPB Image

shellies are the go or even comps a pair would love that tank mbita shelldwellers similis mulities are all good species also some of the south american dwarf species if you want color they are amazing fish the Apistogramma species is what you probably want

Thanks guys for the suggestions !!! Bought some more shellies from Shane on this forum the other day. My first thought was to put them into my existing shellies tank however, they were all very aggressive fighting for territory for the first 30 minutes, so I've moved them all into the new set up tank. And they have been settling in ok so far. So, I have 2 alto comps mbita, 2 gold occies, and 4 L. meleagris.

I still want to get some kribs, provide that they will add nice display to the tank as all of the shellies spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank, or hiding in shells....but at the same time, i don't want to crowd the tank though, so how many Kribs I can add given that I've already have 8 in a 90L tank?

I wouldn't be adding any Kribs to that tank now. Those shellies are going to be a hand full together once they start to spawn, not to mention the Alto's will hunt and eat any fry they can get to. The Altos would also hassle the crap out of the Kribs when they start to breed.

Your choice of fish IMHO is heading for a violent end, if they are all left in that tank.

Josh

I see !! No Kribs then !! Sad !! :)

Hmm....maybe I need another tank so I can keep Kribs !!! :8 but then the "Queen" at home will not be very impress !!! :p

Hey Chris, thanks for the tip, the occies and meleagris seem to be okay so far as I've got enough shells in the tank for all of them, though will keep an eye on them.

cheers,

Steve

Be a bit tricky and convince the other half that since she really likes YOUR tank she should really set one up of her own. The hardest bit might be convincing her that kribs are what she really wants to keep, see the nice purple belly .......doesnt that look cute? An you know they are great parents, protecting them from any other fish, herding them around like kids at a picnic when they have a day out.........of course I'll help set it up, I know how busy you are dear. Might take a bit of work but worth the effort :-)

Archived