My First Malawi display tank

fishly

Hi All,

I just want to share with you guys my first malawi display tank. It is 5ft x 14" x 2ft high.

The filtration I am using is:

- wet/dry filter system

- 1800lt/hr resun canister filter

- eheim 2228 canister filter

lights: 4ft flurocent light - 2 of them is natural colour and 1 of the is the blue colour.

Ph: 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Plants: Fake one, anubias nana, and java fern

Click on this (Thanks to Sarah wink.gif )

What do you guys think? what should I add/change in order to improve it? I would be very appreciate any positive comments.

Best Regards,

Fishly

what sort of Malawis are you intending to add and how many, i think you have a lot of rock work in your tank and the driftwood will lower your ph which you dont really want as its an african tank .

cheers

Thanks Fiona. You're right.

Sarah, currently I have 10 BN in the tank. I am thinking of adding 10 P. Salousi and probably some hongi. The reason I put the drift wood is because I have some BN in the tank. I am using purigen in order to absorb the tanins. The tank has been running for 3 months now, and the PH is always about 8.0 (it could be because I am using the marble chip as the substrate and saechem malawi buffer). However, thanks for letting me know, and I'll monitor the PH closely. If the PH drop, then I will remove one of the drift wood.

And about the latex cave and the rock, do you guys think that I should reduce the number of them or they should be alright? Would they cause the Oxygen deficiency as it could have some dead spot???? FYI, I am using the 4ft air buble bar.

It looks like you have tied the plants to their "base"? is this to get them to attach where you want? If so what is it that you have used and will it effect the tank/fish in anyway? How long would you need to tie the plants down for?

Looks good btw wink.gif

Gday there,

nice looking tank.. i personally dont think that the ph will ever drop with the small amount of wood you have in there...if you had the tank full then it would be a different story but with the amount you have in there i cant see there ever being a problem....as for fishing line its perfectly safe to use in tanks as its only nylon and ive used it in a tank to tie down a plant years ago and its still there with no problems at all.... keep up the good work smile.gif

Great tank, how did u get the background on so good with any air bubbles behind it?

I think it looks great.

It looks like you are using crushed marble substrate, so I don't think the driftwood will make too much difference.

I bet those granite rocks weigh a heap.

Hopefully you won't ever need to catch the fish that you put in there laugh.gif

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the comments.

Spooky and Andy, I do agree with you. So far the PH is always about 8.0 tongue.gif .

Beardie, I used air buble bar at the front (but when I took the picture, I turned it off wink.gif )

Andy, I think all the granite rock weight is about 25kg. And I use the egg crate underneath it.

Lungy, what is the full scientific name of dimi? and I thought of the 14" spray bar, but I thought if using a long one, the filter can performs better and less dead spots in the tank (I do agree that the long spray bar looks a bit ugly huh.gif ). However correct me if I am wrong.

Gutty, I bought the granite of Neil biggrin.gif . They look great and don't cost a lot compare to lava rock.

Thanks teamsherman and willy wombat. Hopefully the fishes will be happy with this setup wub.gif .

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony

"Dimidiochromis compressicep" ,

i didnt realise your substrate was buffering the water so offcourse your few pieces of driftwood wont make a dent in the ph , my only concern with so many rocks would be the fun you would have trying to fish them out laugh.gif

cheers

ohmy.gif Ummm

Lungy, what is the full scientific name of dimi?

Dimidiochromis Compressercepp wink.gif

Ummm Dead spots blink.gif Mate if there were such a thing rolleyes.gif i doubt yer fish would loiter in it now would they ... wink.gif

A suitable filter for yer tank size will leave no 'DEAD' spots ... LOL.gif

You gotta stop talk'n to those Newcastle boys dude : roll : roll .. WINK !!!!

Andy...

Yeah Sarah, I think it would be so hard to fish them out.

Lungy, Dimi is too big for the tank, as it can grow up to 10" while the width of the tank only 14" with lots of rocks. So I think it doesn't suit the tank. Any other fishes that you think will suit the tank and P. Salousi? Can Hongi xbreeding with P. Salousi?

Regards,

Tony

I agree with Lungy.. Get rid of that spray bar. Otherwise tank looks good. As you add fish, you will slowly remove rocks as you will find that there is not much space in there!! And ultimately getting a 6fter before the 8fter comes into the picture. laugh.gif

Dimidiochromis Compressercepp

At least if you talk to the Newcastle boys, you will get the correct info laugh.gif

It's Dimidiochromis compressiceps. wink.gif

Archived