are steatocranus casuarious male blue in colour

fisshy

i seen a photo of these fish for a pet add and the fish was a nice blue colour but i read a thing when googled an said was brown in colour can some one tell me what one is true as i am interested an does anyone have these for sale near Newcastle or within sydney to taree to singleton aswell what else would go in a tank with these guys THANKS

Hi Fisshy

juveniles are a basic brown/grey colour and become a uniform shade of

slate grey .... that's it for colour but the males develop long fin extensions

and the nuchal head hump

they also don't have a swim bladder so movement is a combination of hops

and swimming

great fish :thumb

S.tinanti are a close relative that has a gold sheen over the grey body colour

they don't develop a large hump but have enlarged mouth

both come from the Congo and so water neutral to 7.5 with low hardness

works well, cave spawners that are very secretive ......... usually you will see

the fry before you notice they have spawned

Chris

I have a pair and yes they can develop a slight dark blue. This doesn't usually happen, I've only ever seen my ones do it a couple of times so I think it must be a mood thing.

just wonderin has anybody looked at the web site that i put up www.livefish.com.au

Just had a look at the site Fisshy, thats the first blue one that I've seen. I had a breeding pair for a while and they were great fish and great parents. Color of them was as most have said, a pale brown/gray. I think the pic on the site has been modified a lot to bring out the blue more such as Mathobes mentioned in his post, a blue sheen would look cool but the fish are great regardless of color.

I still have around 25 1cm to 3cm but unfortunately not anywhere near you or you could have some of mine. Anyone down Geelong way that wants some let me know, I'll be flogging off the tank etc but happy to give away a few of them if thats all anyone wanted.

Just had a look at the site Fisshy, thats the first blue one that I've seen. I had a breeding pair for a while and they were great fish and great parents. Color of them was as most have said, a pale brown/gray. I think the pic on the site has been modified a lot to bring out the blue more such as Mathobes mentioned in his post, a blue sheen would look cool but the fish are great regardless of color.

I still have around 25 1cm to 3cm but unfortunately not anywhere near you or you could have some of mine. Anyone down Geelong way that wants some let me know, I'll be flogging off the tank etc but happy to give away a few of them if thats all anyone wanted.

thanks guys for the info since no one has seen blue one like on that site before i say the photo has been enhanced for sale reasons i going to contact them an see what they say about the fish an its colour may be its OVER FED on hormoan food to help or something I will let ya know about it

the tank lighting could have a blue actinic tube in the mix

to increase the blue spectrum

I think this will reflect a blue tinge to the fish

See scotty81's post for his experience with this supplier

Chris

Dear Fisshy, The lionhead (Steatocranus casuarius) are both Brown for male and female in colour, not blue, regards Norm Halliwell.

thanks everyone for answering ........its a shame though ......cause the photo of them lookin blue look great ....still a good lookin fish though

Archived