Tank is set up!

snipes

Hi guys n girls,

took a trip out to flower power in sylvania to have a look at the rockery available and lo and behold there was a stack of bush rock/ slates and sandstone available for about $45 - $55 a pallet (laid flat).

better pricing than i've found anywhere i am continually amazed at what an aquarium can charge for rocks these days.... for about $40 I set up my new 6x2x2 frontosa tank (minus the fronts at mo) laugh.gif

tell me what you think of the setup!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

seeya! rolleyes.gif

Guest Gutty

No offence intended here but with rock,pots and wood piled up like that in my opinion it looks a bit like a junk pile........not exactly natural......... unsure.gifblush.gif

But i'm a bit of a fan of one single type of decoration. ie Rocks OR wood OR pots........ smile.gif

Maybe you could hide the pots under/behind some of those rocks.

Just my(possibly demented) opinion

Matt

Fixed the pics!

now i just need to find some Fronts and Calvus to populate it.... which ones should I put in first? the tank has been cycling for 4 weeks now, the ph is stable at 7.6 the ammonia and nitrate reading is nill so its looking ready...

Ok, my honest opinion?

The fish won't like it.

Fronts: If you are adding in small fronts then they will be happy as Larry in there for a while but definitely too crowded in there to cater for them when they get bigger. I have also found that fronts startle easy and can knock out eyes as they skim past rocks. I prefer to use whole (not half) flower pots for them when bigger - the fish seem to prefer it as well.

Altos: They will also enjoy the tank while growing up. It's like a mega playground smile.gif but there is nowhere for them to breed. They prefer small caves which need to be readily accessable for you if something does happen.

I would get rid of the wood. You may like it there but it will lower the Ph of your water and is not really necessary for the fish as they inhabit rocky areas.

What have you used to cycle the tank or has it been running on empty for the 4 weeks?

I would get Altos first as they are smaller and will grow much slower than fronts. If you buy the fronts first and then add Altos, the fronts may think it's dinner time sadsmiley02.gif Has anyone ever tried keeping these two species together?? I have always had them in separate tanks - would be good to hear how they work together.

thanks for the feedback!

from my research on the web it seems both are remarkably slow growers so I figured a more packed out tank in terms of decoration would be good for a while (I intend to buy the fish at a small size)... Also have several full larger flowerpots awaiting install when they get bigger.... i figured the half pots would be good for now while they are small.

Cycling per se is not finished I mean I am ready to put in a few cheaper fish to get it going... don't know what to put in as I don't want to have to catch anything in there it will be nuts!

I will happily remove some of the larger pieces when the fish get larger, not so worried about breeding as I said small fish to begin with....

i will remove the wood if i notice a change in ph, the ph for the fish i want to keep is higher than what i am getting now so it will be the first thing i remove. I will see what i can do to hide the pots more as I like the rockery setup... maybe move them more to the back and hide the entrances more...

first time I have tried a serious rockery setup so feel free to hit me up with ideas!

Anita if you think the calvus won't go with the Fronts, do you have any suggestions? I wanted the fish to not show up or harrass the fronts, and be the cycling fish for the tank.

I'm trying! blush.gif

Well I think it looks nice, but I think:

- take out the blackish piece of drift wood

- and take out the red rectangle block of stone (it's on the right side of the tank, do you know which one I mean??)

I personally like seeing setups with plants in them, but I understand you want a rock setup.

Maybe you should try some fish that'll contrast against the rocky backdrop? like electric yellows, saulosi or lombardoi. I'm not sure if they'll suit the tank or what you're putting in it, but I just love their colour biggrin.gif

anyways, thats just my opinion, so go with what you like looking at and whats best for the fish you're choosing smile.gif

Mish

if i were you i would remove the wood and stuff NOW to save u doing it when u get the fish so it doesnt stress them out , you might as well fix it up for if they are already grown up then you wont have to do a thing in regards to decoration for ages

just my opinion

Definately take the wood out.

I have some pieces of wood in my African tanks, but that is solely for the bristlenose to chew on. I try to leave it in the back smile.gif

I agree the tank has too much going on. It would be great for a large mbuna display, but I think the Frontys will be better off with a couple of large caves, and alot of swimming space. Make the fish the centrepiece of the aquarium, instead of the decor wink.gif

Nice stone, why not try making two unsymetrical piles of stone at either end of the tank and having a little bit of space in the middle. Not a fan of the wood or the pots, but hey, i used to have rock, pots and wood in my last tank. wink.gif Have you considered keeping calvus and smaller fronty looking fish like a Neolamprologus tretocephalus? pic

Good stuff!

WW

Guest Gutty

Lots of tanks to look at here. There is a pull down menu at the top of the tank list that even lets you choose the type of tanks you want to see.

I think you've got the right idea as far as moving the pots to the back out of veiw, that way they still serve their purpose but it'll look alot more natuaral.

Lata

Matt

I would get Altos first as they are smaller and will grow much slower than fronts. If you buy the fronts first and then add Altos, the fronts may think it's dinner time sadsmiley02.gif Has anyone ever tried keeping these two species together?? I have always had them in separate tanks - would be good to hear how they work together.

click on the link gutty posted above (thanks!!) and fink Kodak's tank that user keeps both of those fish together...

massive tank though.

Willy the Neolamprologus tretocephalus are really nice fish, are they readily available? what kind of prices would i be looking at for them...

Snipes - i see them in the classifieds every now and then. I think more than a few people in sydney are keeping them. I couldnt tell you what cost - but they will be cheaper than fronties! rolleyes.gif

Archived