Peppermint bristlenose setup.

Dr Omega

Hey guys,

I have just set up a 24x14x16 tank for some peppermint bristlenoses I am going to be getting this/next week. I was just trying to decide what other tank mates I could put in there to have cruise around, any ideas are welcome, going for a more mellow tank.

Substrate is sand and has some java fern in there, going to be adding some drift wood this week as well.

Hey guys,

I have just set up a 24x14x16 tank for some peppermint bristlenoses I am going to be getting this/next week. I was just trying to decide what other tank mates I could put in there to have cruise around, any ideas are welcome, going for a more mellow tank.

Substrate is sand and has some java fern in there, going to be adding some drift wood this week as well.

try leave the set up running longer that a week to cycle if you cant hopfully you can speed up the process try a search on this site.

as for fish i would say shrimp 20+ tetra's 10+

Oh forgot to mention, tank is fish safe already.

Filter and 3/4 water from my already up and running tanks.

very good but just so you know its always better to have it set up for longer than a week

i had read on a post here ? ithink it was saying so the bactirea level in on substrate glass + decor?

but gr8 work with the aged water + filter :thumbup:

anyways what do you think about the fish list ?

i only put down 20 shrimp because there is no point buyin more for they will breed to a no. that will be more than enough.

Point taken Foti on the tank and decor, will give it a bit more time.

As for the tetras I am going to go with them I think, i can get a nice school of them going, I am not sure about the shrimp as I have never really seen them in tanks myself.

I will have to look into them more.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be a dull tank if you go for the srimp,20 is a lot in that size tank. But you may like them. Top / med swimming fish would be better.

Depends how big the Pepps are,and your tank is small so cant put many in.They like the wood.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm up in the air about what i want to do.... i have a 3ft x 1.5ft x 2ft fish tank with a 600 ltr an hour powerhead filter with bio sponge , and a 2000 ltr/hr power head fountain pump , so the water cycles nicely...

i've just set it up ( just last night) with a bag of pool filter sand and a really nice hollow log cut out of the bank from my parents creek.

i did have about 7 gold fish in this tank but put them in dads Koi pond last night.... shhh :thumbup:

what i was setting it up for was some Geo's , BUT after having a think about it , i think that maybe this tank would be better suited to some peppermints?

once the water clears i will post some pics up to get some ideas.... but yeah... i'm thinking of swaying to peppermints because of the lackof room for the cichlids.

You say , once the water clears. Did you boil the log in water first?

oh crap :cryblow: ....... :B

i was sort of hoping it was a touch cloudy from the new gravel... it's hard to see how well i'd cleaned the substrate at midnight :blink

it's more of a dust than leeching from the log. (i think)

Dr Omega

seeing it's a std 2'ft tank I'm guessing that the Pepps are juveniles

you intend to grow

this can be set up with drift wood and some plants with a school 10+

of smaller Tetra like Neons or Cardinals plus a few shrimp if you like

or natives like 4-6 Praecox rainbows, 4-6 Radinocentrus, 4-6 Blue eyes

or 4-6 I. werneri but keep it to one species of fish tankmates

most important thing is to find out what water parameters the Pepps

have been in (guessing between 6.5 and 7.2 pH) and start with the same

Adam

sounds like sediment from either or both substate and timber

let it settle and syphon off then go over it with a gravel cleaned or just drain and

get a buck for the sand to start cleaning again until teh water runs clear

always soak and clean wild caught timber before use

if it's dry caught then soak to weigh it down and loosen dirt etc before cleaning

and removing anything loose

if wet caught it may have pathogens from it's existing enviroment that you

don't want in the tank so try a bath of salt and Condy's crystals to kill anything

that many have hitched a ride

Chris

I had my peppermints in 2x18x18 for ages so the tank size should be too much of an issue. I now have you juvis in a standard 4' tank with 12 Melanotaenia splendida australis (RF). You will rarely see the peppermints as they mainly come out after the lights are out or after feeding. I would recommend going some rainbows like Chris recommended. I have Praecox rainbows, Spotted Blue eyes and I. werneri in 2' tanks and they are quite happy and very pretty little fish.

cheers

rosco

Dr Omega

seeing it's a std 2'ft tank I'm guessing that the Pepps are juveniles

you intend to grow

this can be set up with drift wood and some plants with a school 10+

of smaller Tetra like Neons or Cardinals plus a few shrimp if you like

or natives like 4-6 Praecox rainbows, 4-6 Radinocentrus, 4-6 Blue eyes

or 4-6 I. werneri but keep it to one species of fish tankmates

most important thing is to find out what water parameters the Pepps

have been in (guessing between 6.5 and 7.2 pH) and start with the same

Adam

sounds like sediment from either or both substate and timber

let it settle and syphon off then go over it with a gravel cleaned or just drain and

get a buck for the sand to start cleaning again until teh water runs clear

always soak and clean wild caught timber before use

if it's dry caught then soak to weigh it down and loosen dirt etc before cleaning

and removing anything loose

if wet caught it may have pathogens from it's existing enviroment that you

don't want in the tank so try a bath of salt and Condy's crystals to kill anything

that many have hitched a ride

Chris

thanks for the info Chris ! , :thumb

lucky it was dry , but has been in the creek bed for over 20 years , i remember it from when i was a kid.

I hosed it off and got rid of all the loose stuff.... but yeah it still could be coming from the log...

if it causes me too many problems i will remove it , since i am now thinking of turning it into a peppermint tank , i may need the room to make caves . i dont know if the hollow log will do the job.

The sand was very dusty when i removed it from the bag.... and the filter keeps blocking up with sediment..... i may do another water change tonight and see how it goes.

Gee Rosco your not too bad yourself even if you do come from Canberra :lol5:

Adam

sand sux to clean as it takes longer than gravel due to being finer :(

and if you dont get the sediment out it will clog the filter quicker than you

can clean it ........... back to the bucket and hose I think :cryblow:

I prefer mangrove or mulga root over eucalypt branch as they don't break

down as much in water or constantly leach tannin

IMO always have some wood with Loricardae even the carnivores :yes:

My Pepps use to spawn in a hollow artificial rock

Chris

Gee Rosco your not too bad yourself even if you do come from Canberra :lol5:

Adam

sand sux to clean as it takes longer than gravel due to being finer :(

and if you dont get the sediment out it will clog the filter quicker than you

can clean it ........... back to the bucket and hose I think :cryblow:

I prefer mangrove or mulga root over eucalypt branch as they don't break

down as much in water or constantly leach tannin

IMO always have some wood with Loricardae even the carnivores :yes:

My Pepps use to spawn in a hollow artificial rock

Chris

it's cleared about 50% , maybe another 24 hours and it may be clear

IPB Image

IPB Image

i can see a bit of clay on the end of the log :B ( i call it a log because it's alot heavier than a stick :lol3: )

not a good cleaning job by me ... thats what i get for doing it in the dark.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Been a while since i started the thread but i have been flat out busy with work so little time to check the forums.

I ended up only getting two of the peppermints and one unfortunately died soon after i got him, he had a hugely bloated stomach and after eating once he dropped dead.

The other peppermint is still going though and is very happy.

I ended up getting a large log with Anubias on it and it had snails with it, I did not like how these snails were running around in my tank so got a few clown loaches to take care of them, I have to say the clown loaches have been the most amusing fish i have bought.

They are still small themselves but I will be moving them all into a bigger tank in time, i have a nice 4 footer I am going to move them into when they get big enough, I am actually looking to get some more peps soon but will see what happens.

Here's a pic of my 2 foot tank so far.

IPB Image

Hey guys,

Been a while since i started the thread but i have been flat out busy with work so little time to check the forums.

I ended up only getting two of the peppermints and one unfortunately died soon after i got him, he had a hugely bloated stomach and after eating once he dropped dead.

The other peppermint is still going though and is very happy.

I ended up getting a large log with Anubias on it and it had snails with it, I did not like how these snails were running around in my tank so got a few clown loaches to take care of them, I have to say the clown loaches have been the most amusing fish i have bought.

They are still small themselves but I will be moving them all into a bigger tank in time, i have a nice 4 footer I am going to move them into when they get big enough, I am actually looking to get some more peps soon but will see what happens.

Here's a pic of my 2 foot tank so far.

IPB Image

Looks great Dr ,

i have some clown loaches in with my peacocks... i could sit there all day and watch the 2 of them play... awesome fish.

I took my log out of my 3ft tank and just made a heap of flat rock caves , and the fish love it , alot more room to swim.

I'm waiting to upgrade my 2ft tank to a 4 ft for my starlight plecs , they are going strong and growing rather fast , i always thought they were slow growers?

Archived