Updated shots of my Eartheaters

japes

Japes your aquascaping continues to amaze me, your tanks just look incredible, if I'm ever up your way I'm dropping in to take a look at these amazing setups in person...

I don't keep any eartheaters but every time I look at this thread I consider changing from Africans, by far my favorite display tanks on any forum I've seen.

Are the Terminalia catappa leaves common? they just look awesome, in my next setup I'm going to plan my aquascaping and biotype so much more... a real inspiration mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just running a 400D with 50mm F1.8, super cheap setup.

F1.8 lets me run ISO200-400 with a shutter speed of around 1/100, no margin for error with focal length though.

Just running a 400D with 50mm F1.8, super cheap setup.

F1.8 lets me run ISO200-400 with a shutter speed of around 1/100, no margin for error with focal length though.

cheers for the reply i'll give it a go...

Lucky you got the lens allowing to use only your tank lights, i gotta run bloody 400+ watts of lighting to get good photo's, or to allow me to use a higher shutter, your setups are great, i still havnt found the right wood for my setup.

Cheers Mark~

Just a few updated full tank shots.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ditched the halide on my cube for some cheap Halogen lighting, nicer on the power bill and very fond of the lighting effect. Doesn't impact growth in the tank as I have no plants, and the heat is dispersed with such an open top.

They are magnificent leucosticta.Are they the so called "Amazon reds"described by Lee Neuman??

My leucosticta have no red and abit more opercular stripping than yours,but not so much as I would call them jurupari.

The Amazon reds are supposed to be immediate mouthbrooders rather than being delayed larvophilic brooders (that use the leaf for spawning)as is the case with normal(??)leucosticta.By what method have yours spawned??

Doug

They are magnificent leucosticta.Are they the so called "Amazon reds"described by Lee Neuman??

My leucosticta have no red and abit more opercular stripping than yours,but not so much as I would call them jurupari.

The Amazon reds are supposed to be immediate mouthbrooders rather than being delayed larvophilic brooders (that use the leaf for spawning)as is the case with normal(??)leucosticta.By what method have yours spawned??

Doug

Hi Doug,

I believe my S. leucosticta are the Rio Rupununi/Essequibo (Guyana variants), and have spawned and brooded as larvophilically (word? :D) as described in Weidner's book. They've only ever spawned on driftwood, although they show a keen interest in leaves. Unfortunately they are very rapidly buried so I've given up on trying to keep leaves with them.

did you get rid of the tapajos?.

They were the Araguaia variant, and yes, sold them earlier this year, along with their entire tank, to make room for the new 6x2x2 holding my leucosticta.

• 3 years later...

The Rio Tapajos biotope is what im trying to do aswell with the d maculatus and orange head tapajos, truly stunning.

Archived